Number or Marimos...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chappy222

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Maybe a dumb question...Well my teachers used to say no question is a dumb question haha anyways real fast question regarding the Marimo balls, is there actually a limit as to how many can be in a tank? I'm not planning on starting a colony of them, I was just thinking maybe 5-6 in my 30 gallon community tank for looks and of course the added benefits. And I'm simply talking golf ball sized unless they decide to be mutant and grow to beyond tennis ball size very fast. But I just wasn't sure if too many had some form of adverse side effects! Thanks!!

OP
Chappy222

Chappy222

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Pretty sure you could fill a tank with marimos and still be fine. Lol that would be an interesting tank.
I may do that! haha...I have to wait to start my planted tank until later this year so I figured I would toss some Marimos in and voila a "planted" tank! I do know they are living plants though, but do they serve somewhat the same purpose? I obviously know they dont take the fish waste like a rooted plant and use it for fertilization, but as far as the oxygen supply and being good at harboring BB?

OP
Chappy222

Chappy222

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They don't need much, just light. They aren't plants nor moss. They are simply algae
So with them being basically algae in the tank, do they use up most of the nutrients if any is in the tank that would produce normal algae growth? If so I might as well put 10 in there haha! I have no algae problems now but if that theory would work then it would be worth having multiple ones in the tank...

Mims

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I only have one in each tank, but I'd be happy with a few more. I saw one at the fish store today that was bigger than a softball. It was enormous!! I was going to get it, but not for the $29.99 they were asking.

OP
Chappy222

Chappy222

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I saw one at the fish store today that was bigger than a softball. It was enormous!! I was going to get it, but not for the $29.99 they were asking.
I would have liked to seen that! Most Marimos I see are golfball size and sometimes just creeping up on tennis ball...But softball! That would definitely be a prize in a tank though at that size! Though $30 isnt too bad if you just had the money and wanting to give it away haha because the ones at PM and PC that are sometimes barely golfballs they want to sell for $8!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Weekly

Votes: 80 68.4%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 16.2%

Top Bottom