Nudibranch? 5 Gallon Tank

1. s

smileyfish Valued Member Member

I've recently done quite a few changes to my tanks of getting rid of and adding fish, coral, invertebrates, etc. Basically with almost a year of experience along with the help of all of you and my relative with over a decade of experience could i keep a Nudibranch in this 5.5 gallon tank?

Go to my profile to get more information on it.

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

What kind of nudi?

Some are obligate feeders and will starve to death when they run out of their food source (example, berghia nudi and aiptasia).

3. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

From what I've seen of them, I would think that it would be difficult to keep one in a 5g tank.

4. OP
    OP
    s

any ideas about what to put in the 5.5 gallon? (something unique/rare optimally)
    i also have no fish in my 29 gallon, more info in my profile, how about some ideas for in there? (same as above)

5. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I think that you're going to have problems finding oddities that will do well in such a small tank. That's often the reason that something is an oddity in the aquarium trade; because they're a pain to deal with.
    One of the reasons that nudibranchs are such a pain is that many of them are toxic in one way or another. They're normally resistant to their own toxins, of course, but that's in open water, not in aquaria, where there is a very limited amount of water to dilute anything released when the critter is stressed.

My personal favorite concept for such a tiny saltwater tank is to have an inverts-only tank, with live rock, perhaps a bit of coral (dependent on your light source, of course), and perhaps a shrimp and/or a snail. Because it's a small tank, splurge for the absolute best live rock you can find, and you could end up with a splendor of strange critters growing from the rock.

6. OP
    OP
    s

the tank has coral and live rock and everything, it's had fish, inverts, etc. What inverts can be in groups (or duos) and can fit (in groups) in the 5.5? And i have a softspot for angelfish. Could i buy one for the 29 gallon (with coral)?