[nsfw] Just Lost 3 Tetras..

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by ArmouredUnicorn, Jan 3, 2017.

1. ArmouredUnicorn

ArmouredUnicornNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    1 year
    Pretty frustrated / upset. They've been amazingly hardy until the past few days. However only 3 out of the 6 died and I have no idea why.

I may have stressed them I guess, it was annual fish tank deep clean day where I took out the ornaments and drift wood and gravel vac where they were. I did a deep filter clean and had some filter floss placed inside and out to extra polish the water.

Got some cyanoacrylate glue by everbuild from Amazon arrive and so glued up some Java moss onto the cave and driftwood. Left it to cure about an hour before putting it back in when the back said 30 seconds.

Weird, upsetting. Odd seeing as the shrimp are fine and super fragile to water chemistry change yet they're just chilling eating all the last bits of detritus that the clean threw up. 1483462753336.

2. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +3,639
    Experience:
    2 years
    Which Everbuild glue did you get? Can you link it?

I'm sorry about your losses x

3. OP
    OP
    ArmouredUnicorn

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks, someone mentioned it may have been a gas pocket that disturbed when I gravel vac but I dunno.

Everbuild HV50 50 g High Viscosity Industrial Superglue

4. Aquaphobia

Ratings:
    +3,639
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hm, it seems that HV50 is not 100% cyanoacrylate. It also contains Hydroquinone which seems to be best known as a banned skin whitening agent.

5. OP
    OP
    ArmouredUnicorn

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    1 year
    Odd.. I did see that once I checked the back after though surely if it was the glue all the inhabitants would have died and not just half the group of phantoms?

6. OP
    OP
    ArmouredUnicorn

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    1 year
    Just done a tonne of research on it, and pretty sure by the time I get back to the tank all my fish will be dead.

Pg.4 Environmental Effects

7. Aquaphobia

Ratings:
    +3,639
    Experience:
    2 years
    Oh dear, I hope that's not the case! I've heard that superglue cures instantly in the presence of water so maybe it was just when you first put it in that a "puff" of nasties was released but then stopped.

8. OP
    OP
    ArmouredUnicorn

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hopefully! I was reading and it said it dematerialises in light and water fast so I guess that maybe theres a chance. Guess lesson learned, always go 100% cyanoacrylate and always double check before putting into the aquarium. The shrimp were fine despite being all over the driftwood which confused me because theyre more sensitive than the tetras id of thought

9. Aquaphobia

Ratings:
    +3,639
    Experience:
    2 years
    True, but they also require less oxygen and probably have a lower metabolism which should mean that less "stuff" passes through their system. Their chances of running into it were lower. I don't know, I'm just throwing it out there.