[nsfw] Anyone Had Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish Die Off Suddenly? Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by bobbyta74, Jun 16, 2019.

1. bobbyta74New MemberMember

About 4 months ago, I got some neon dwarf rainbows for my 240 litre (~63 gallon) aquarium, and they all seemed fine for the first 3 months. Fast forward to May, 2 of them died within two days, and today, around a month later, another one has dropped dead. There seem to be no visible signs of any disease on it. Can anyone help?

Here’s a picture. Looking back, his spine seems to be bent down and to the left. Is it possible that as a male fighting for dominance, he got injured?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2019
  2. CraiginWalesValued MemberMember

How many did you have? Water parameters? Temperature?

3. Adam PacioNew MemberMember

Was the tail fin split when it was living? Split fins can be the sign of distress or fighting. What else is in the tank?

4. bobbyta74New MemberMember

Tail fin was split, lived with other rainbows, harlequin rasboras, bronze cories, mollies, an angelfish and a BN pleco.

5. Adam PacioNew MemberMember

Sorry for late reply. I've been told while considering Dwarf Neon Praecox myself for my own tank that this particular sub-breed is prone to sudden die-off due to lazy breeding. The Dwarf Praecox are popular so inferior strains have developed and been too interbred making what you encountered a rather common occurrence.