Important [nsfw] Anyone Had Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish Die Off Suddenly?

noobscaper

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
About 4 months ago, I got some neon dwarf rainbows for my 240 litre (~63 gallon) aquarium, and they all seemed fine for the first 3 months. Fast forward to May, 2 of them died within two days, and today, around a month later, another one has dropped dead. There seem to be no visible signs of any disease on it. Can anyone help?

Here’s a picture. Looking back, his spine seems to be bent down and to the left. Is it possible that as a male fighting for dominance, he got injured?

Attachments

CraiginWales

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bobbyta74 said:
About 4 months ago, I got some neon dwarf rainbows for my 240 litre (~63 gallon) aquarium, and they all seemed fine for the first 3 months. Fast forward to May, 2 of them died within two days, and today, around a month later, another one has dropped dead. There seem to be no visible signs of any disease on it. Can anyone help?

Here’s a picture. Looking back, his spine seems to be bent down and to the left. Is it possible that as a male fighting for dominance, he got injured?
How many did you have? Water parameters? Temperature?

Adam Pacio

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Was the tail fin split when it was living? Split fins can be the sign of distress or fighting. What else is in the tank?

Adam Pacio

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry for late reply. I've been told while considering Dwarf Neon Praecox myself for my own tank that this particular sub-breed is prone to sudden die-off due to lazy breeding. The Dwarf Praecox are popular so inferior strains have developed and been too interbred making what you encountered a rather common occurrence.

OP
noobscaper

noobscaper

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Adam Pacio said:
Sorry for late reply. I've been told while considering Dwarf Neon Praecox myself for my own tank that this particular sub-breed is prone to sudden die-off due to lazy breeding. The Dwarf Praecox are popular so inferior strains have developed and been too interbred making what you encountered a rather common occurrence.
OK. I’ll up the school to 6, then add more rasboras

CraiginWales

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bobbyta74 said:
OK. I’ll up the school to 6, then add more rasboras
The superior ones really do pop out at you. If they have a fantastic show of neon blue then they’re generally well bred, even when they’re only an inch long. The inferior ones are quite drab in comparison.

OP
noobscaper

noobscaper

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
CraiginWales said:
The superior ones really do pop out at you. If they have a fantastic show of neon blue then they’re generally well bred, even when they’re only an inch long. The inferior ones are quite drab in comparison.
I'm afraid my local big-box stores don't have anything that's really good - not even plants

New Threads