Now what??

silvermoonmyst

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ive had a bunch of fish die on me the last couple of days and then I come home from work today and found that my little platy had a baby! We have seen two of itty bitty fish, about a quarter of an inch long.
Now what??
They are in with 5 platys, 2 penguin tetras, 4 coolie loaches, 2 catfish, and 2 suckers one of which is quite large. They are in a 55 gallon tank. we have had ammonia problems and lost a bunch of fish but that was corrected yesterday.

So now what do I do? Leave them in the big tank? Buy them a small tank? What do baby fish eat? They are so tiny, will other fish eat them? I wasn't trying to breed fish lol. One was fat and I joked it could be pregnant, we bought them 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure which one is mom, but one is hanging around the babies, and no other fish are going near them.
Man they are tiny lol. I'm excited but soo lost! Help!!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the fry will likely get eaten unless you have ALOT of hiding places for them, or move them to another tank. They are not safe even with their own parents. Livebearer fry is rather large when born so they can eat pulverized flakes, hikarI first bites, microworms, baby brine shrimp, etc.

silvermoonmyst

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mostly they are hiding under the ship and behind a few rocks. I do have a bunch of bamboo inside.
I'm not sure how to pull them out, they are so tiny. Well it was pretty cool to come home and see them

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore
Congrats on the fry! You can use a net or suck them out with a turkey baster and put them in a breeder net that hangs inside the tank.

Good luck!

silvermoonmyst

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I moved one of the two into a different tank, I put a heater in there and it has a filter, but that's the extent of my spare fish stuff and the fish store is closed lol. I put a bamboo in with him and I'm still looking for the other lil guy, he ran fast and sadly my rocks are the same color as he is lol.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

Make sure the filter intake is somehow covered; brand new pantyhose, or at least ones that have never seen soap, can be slipped over it in a pinch. I lost about 7 fry to one even though I thought they were big enough.

You will likely have fry for several months even if you don't have males, and you will have fry every month if you do have males. . So it's best to decide what you'll do with the future fry now. Raising fry takes at least two tanks because they can't stay in a breeders net or box forever. Then there's the issue of what to do with the fry once they've grown. I kept as many fry as I found from my platy's and molly's first drops but then I realized I have nowhere to put them when they grow so now if someone drops, I leave the fry. But I went with same-sex populations and seemed to get lucky to get two females *not* pregnant.

I wonder why someone hasn't figured out a way to neuter fish. Hmm...

-Lisa

silvermoonmyst

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well of the four, two have red on their back fins, and the other two have more busy under their bodies, I'm guessing the ones with red on their backs are males. I think they were called sunset platys.
I can't find the second one. but the filter in the spare tank is under the rocks. Hes hiding out near the heater though.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Top Bottom