Now what do I do?

1. ilopez0614 Initiate Member

I just got up and looked at the tank and found a lot of eggs on the filter intake, guarded by my 2 large Angels. I've had good luck with live bearers but never dealt with eggs laying. Can someone guide me in the right direction to keep as many as possible alive?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

3. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats on the angel eggs!! And that's a beautiful pair! The intake tube is often where my angels chose to lay their eggs too.

Let me start by asking, what size is the tank, what other fish live in there with them. Do you have a smaller tank to put the babies in when the start swimming?

The eggs hatch 3-4 days after they are laid and then they stay attached to whatever they are on and I call them "wigglers" at that stage. Then by day 7-8 they should start free swimming.

Have any of the eggs turned white yet? That would indicate unfertilized and they will die off and develop a fungus that will end up hurting the good eggs. It is the parents job to remove those eggs before they harm the others. BUT....just know that the parents may need a few tries before they get it right. My first pair needed 5 tries.

If they fail, which is common at first, once the eggs are gone, they will lay more about 10 days later. So it won't be a long wait.

Raising angelfish fry is a lot of work and requires more than just that main tank. BUT it is very rewarding! If you are truly interested in trying to raise angel babies, I can help you along the way if you would like. You will have to learn how to hatch baby brine shrimp if you haven't already. And in my experience, daily water changes were a necessity as well.....

But give me some more info first!! :)

4. ilopez0614 Initiate Member

bizaliz3 thanks for the information.

My tankmates are,

4 Cory cats
    2 Sunburst platies
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    1 Blue Female Beta
    2 Green Male Sword tails
    1 Female Sword Tail
    1 Clown Pleco
    1 Albino Pleco
    5 Neon Tetras
    2 Silver Mickey Mouse Platies
    1 Red Molly
    1 Black Molly
    1 Silver Lyretail Molly

Man, I just realized that I have a lot of fish. The tank is 36" wide X 12" deep X 14" tall. I think is what you call a 20 gallon long. I think!? And yes, I have more tanks.

5. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

All of those fish AND the angels are in a long 20 gallon???

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That's a 26 gallon. A 20 long is only 30".

7. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Either way....that is grossly overstocked...

I'm surprised the angels even laid eggs in such a crowded tank...

8. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. What other tanks do you have size wise, and do they have fish in them already or are they empty? Alison;)

9. ilopez0614 Initiate Member

Yeap, I just did my search and it is a 30 gallon or somewhere there abouts. They all used to have their own 65 gallon tank, but I had an unexpected delivery of 12 adult cichlids that I had no place for so I had to make the change. They all do very good in that tank. No aggression is noticed because of the lack of space. They all have their hiding places. But yes I would like to move them all back to the 65 gallon tank, but right after I thought about doing it I found that two of my cichlids we're carrying babies in their mouth. So I didn't want to disturb them.

10. ilopez0614 Initiate Member

And of course my plan was to remove the cichlids out of the 65 and find an adoptive family for the cichlids. But the have grown on me with their parent behaviors.

11. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ya...in my experience....breeding cichlids are pretty nasty, so ya...that 65 gallon isn't an option!

Is that your only other tank?

Is there any way you can re-home some of the ones in that 30 gallon? I am not trying to criticize at all....but there are compatibility issues and size issues and bio-load issues and simply number of fish issues in that tank....and if you want them to thrive, you should really consider paring down. Especially if you want any chance of those angelfish fry to survive.

Like I said, I am really surprised those angels not only laid eggs, but left them there. I had a pair in a heavily stocked 55 gallon and the dad ate all the eggs as they were being laid. Typically the angels would rather eat the eggs themselves rather than let anyone else eat them.

When I moved them into their own tank, they never ate their eggs again.

You weren't asking about stocking, so I won't dwell on that. However, you were asking about what to do with the angelfish eggs. And if they do make it to the swimming stage, they will be eaten up immediately by the other fish in there. If you are ok with that, which some people are because they don't want babies....then leave it be. But don't expect ANY survivors in that tank.

12. ilopez0614 Initiate Member

Thanks a lot! I have 65 G with the cichlids.
    [​IMG]

The 30 G with the angels and friends.
    [​IMG]

A 29 G Biocube reef that I'm working on for my girlfriend.
    [​IMG]

And my 75 G reef project.
    [​IMG]

Empty I have a 2.5g, a 5g, a 10g, a 20g, a 55g, and a 75g. Man, am I hoarder!?

13. ilopez0614 Initiate Member

Oh and I forgot to mention my girlfriends and my daughters 40 gallon favorite tank. It holds four juvenile Chinese water dragons.
    [​IMG]

14. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ahhhh, I see, you have MTS like the rest of us!! HAHA nice tanks.

Just out of curiosity....if you have all those empty tanks, why are you cramming all those fish into the 30 gallon?

If you want to raise angels....it appears you have the tanks to do it....so again, if you are interested, let me know!! :)

15. ilopez0614 Initiate Member

I'm very familiar with that term! Hahaha, I'm just looking around the house to see where else I can put another one. My girlfriend is going to have to approve it. She has been so supportive of this addiction. Let's see what I can come up with and I'll get back to get more info. Thanks in advanced!

16. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

well going back to the reason for the thread.....if you want to raise angel babies...try and set up the 55!!! Put the angel parents in there. Put the cories in there (add a couple more cories too) and the plecos. None of them should be any danger to the eggs/wigglers/fry. The neon tetras wouldn't be a danger to the babies either, but I have heard of angels being a danger to neons....but they already live together anyway....so add the neons to the 55 as well. And maybe up the school size a bit.

Then figure out what to do with the mollies/platies/gourami etc. I don't have experience with those fish. So I don't know what size tank they should be in. But the 30 will be WAAAAY better for them once removing the angels and plecos and cories and neons!!

Your empty 10 gallon would be perfect for the angel fry when they first start free swimming. They could live in there for a month at least. As they get bigger, take the 10 down and set up the 20 so they can keep growing healthy.

Try and convince your girlfriend how fun it would be to raise angel babies. Maybe you can convince her to set up the 55. It allows the angels a better breeding set up AND it would make life better for the plecos and cories and neons. And like I said, removing them from the 30 gallon makes life better for the mollies/platies/gourami over there!

17. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Aren't neons in danger of being eaten by adult angels though? Plus the fact that neons prefer cooler temperatures might mean it would be better for them to have their own tank. You could replace them with something larger and more temperature compatible though like cardinal tetras, black neons or glowlight tetras;)

18. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, very true...I did touch on that when I said:
    "but I have heard of angels being a danger to neons....but they already live together anyway....so add the neons to the 55 as well. And maybe up the school size a bit."

But you are correct about the temp difference. I didn't think about that!!

I was just trying to find a way for the OP to keep all the fish he already has AND keep them comfortable....rather than adding any new species. You know? So I was trying to pick the ones that he already has that wouldn't be a danger to the eggs or fry and suggest moving them with the breeding angels. Since the neons are already with the angels anyway...I figured I would just throw that out there as an option.

That 30 gallon just really needs some relief IMO. And if the OP has a space issue regarding setting up some of the empty tanks....I just figured...how can we shuffle these guys around without having to set up more than one more tank.....(not including the 10gal or 20gal for angel babies lol but that would be temporary) and how can we do it without having to get rid of anyone.....

19. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Ah, missed that:)

20. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I really like the way you two think. :;hi2.. You certainly do have lots of options and some really nice tanks set up. An Bizaliz3 can sure help you with fry raising for angels. she's been practicing a lot. :;banamanAlison