Question Now that my tank has cycled two questions

Fish5234

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Finally, my tank has cycled! I have two questions: 1. My tank has cycled a few days ago and I’d like to change the substrate from pebbles to sand since I have cories. I was going to change only about a third of the substrate at a time. Since the cycle is newly established would it be ok to start this transition now or do I need to wait for a few weeks before changing the substrate?

2. I have two filters running on the 20g tanks- aqua clear 50 and aqueon quietflow 10 (which came with the tank but wasnt strong enough so I added the second filter in). How long should I wait before removing the quietflow 10 filter? Would two weeks be enough or should I wait longer? The lid of my tank won’t close with the two filters and the aqua clear 50 seems like it would be enough.

Any advice you have on these two topics would be helpful. Im nervous to disrupt the cycle- it’s been quiet a journey to get here. Thank you

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Since this is such a new cycle I wouldn't try to change the substrate right now. I would give the tank much more time to get firmly established. If your gravel is smooth corys should be fine on it. I have had corys in my tanks over the years with gravel substrates and never saw damage to barbels from it. I have to be totally honest. I have seen more barbel damage since I switched to sand than I ever did with gravel. So much so that I am very tempted to switch back to gravel.

If there is room in there can you just take the media out of the smaller filter and put it in the bigger one? If so then you can do that and remove the smaller one now.

OP
Fish5234

Fish5234

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Since this is such a new cycle I wouldn't try to change the substrate right now. I would give the tank much more time to get firmly established. If your gravel is smooth corys should be fine on it. I have had corys in my tanks over the years with gravel substrates and never saw damage to barbels from it. I have to be totally honest. I have seen more barbel damage since I switched to sand than I ever did with gravel. So much so that I am very tempted to switch back to gravel.

If there is room in there can you just take the media out of the smaller filter and put it in the bigger one? If so then you can do that and remove the smaller one now.
Good to know and I’m suprised to here that’s regarding the substrate. Something to consider but either way I’ll give the tank a bit more time to establish before making the switch.

looking at the filters, I think I came fit the media from the old filter in the new filter. Thanks for the suggestion.

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattgirl said:
If your gravel is smooth corys should be fine on it.
This might be one of those survive vs thrive things. Cories are sand sifters. They may survive, but not allowing them to behave naturally could cause them stress.

OP
Fish5234

Fish5234

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
faydout said:
This might be one of those survive vs thrive things. Cories are sand sifters. They may survive, but not allowing them to behave naturally could cause them stress.
My plan is still to do the sand. About 1/3 of the tank is sand now so they have a softspot to lay and eat. I’ll wait until the cycle is a bit more established to transition the rest to sand if it could disrupt the cycle

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
faydout said:
I have to wonder how we determine the difference between thrive and survive. I can only go by what is happening to the barbels now that I have switched from smooth gravel to pool filter sand. I have actually had corys live for up to 10 years with smooth gravel as my substrate. I have to think they were thriving to have lived that long. Corys in the wild live in different parts of the world. Some in sandy bottom water, Some with sharp rocky bottoms.

Saying corys can't thrive on gravel is doing a disservice to those that would prefer gravel in their tank and want corys. Sadly it is one of those things that has been said for so long it has now become fact. :(

OP
Fish5234

Fish5234

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I have to wonder how we determine the difference between thrive and survive. I can only go by what is happening to the barbels now that I have switched from smooth gravel to pool filter sand. I have actually had corys live for up to 10 years with smooth gravel as my substrate. I have to think they were thriving to have lived that long. Corys in the wild live in different parts of the world. Some in sandy bottom water, Some with sharp rocky bottoms.

Saying corys can't thrive on gravel is doing a disservice to those that would prefer gravel in their tank and want corys. Sadly it is one of those things that has been said for so long it has now become fact. :(
Wow 10 years that’s wonderful. I’ve heard mixed reviews on what substrate is “best”. It’s like everything else, everyone has to make their own informed decisions on what is best for their little guys.

I took a look at the filter. This may be a silly question but when you refer to the media is that the carbon cartridge or the sponge in the front? I might be able to fit the sponge into the new filter but the cartridge in the back I wouldn’t be able to fit in. I’ve attached a photo.

Attachments

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattgirl said:
Saying corys can't thrive
If I said this, by all means show me where. I used the words like "might" or "could" in my first post specifically to avoid coming off as any kind of definitive word on the matter. I will say that the preponderance of the opinions in the fish keeping hobby don't agree with you. My personal experience doesn't agree with you. That was all I was trying to get across.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish5234 said:
Wow 10 years that’s wonderful. I’ve heard mixed reviews on what substrate is “best”. It’s like everything else, everyone has to make their own informed decisions on what is best for their little guys.

I took a look at the filter. This may be a silly question but when you refer to the media is that the carbon cartridge or the sponge in the front? I might be able to fit the sponge into the new filter but the cartridge in the back I wouldn’t be able to fit in. I’ve attached a photo.
Media is just a word to cover anything we have in our tanks to filter and grow bacteria on. If the carbon cartridge has been in there for a month or so the effectiveness of the carbon will have been used up so no need to move it over to the bigger filter. Most of the bacteria will be on the sponge.
faydout said:
If I said this, by all means show me where. I used the words like "might" or "could" in my first post specifically to avoid coming off as any kind of definitive word on the matter. I will say that the preponderance of the opinions in the fish keeping hobby don't agree with you. My personal experience doesn't agree with you. That was all I was trying to get across.
I am sorry and I do apologize to you. You didn't say that specifically. It did seem to be inferred though. I shouldn't have made a blanket statement like that. My last paragraph was just pointing out that it has been said over and over and over again that corys have to have sand to be comfortable. I keep reading that corys have to have sand to live comfortably. I was pointing out that corys can live a long very healthy life with a gravel substrate.

This is just another one of those one size doesn't fit all subjects. Corys can both thrive and survive stress free on either sand or smooth gravel.

I have to apologize to you too @Fish5234 for side tracking your thread.

OP
Fish5234

Fish5234

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Media is just a word to cover anything we have in our tanks to filter and grow bacteria on. If the carbon cartridge has been in there for a month or so the effectiveness of the carbon will have been used up so no need to move it over to the bigger filter. Most of the bacteria will be on the sponge.

I am sorry and I do apologize to you. You didn't say that specifically. It did seem to be inferred though. I shouldn't have made a blanket statement like that. My last paragraph was just pointing out that it has been said over and over and over again that corys have to have sand to be comfortable. I keep reading that corys have to have sand to live comfortably. I was pointing out that corys can live a long very healthy life with a gravel substrate.

This is just another one of those one size doesn't fit all subjects. Corys can both thrive and survive stress free on either sand or smooth gravel.

I have to apologize to you too @Fish5234 for side tracking your thread.
Great thank you!

New Threads