Now, I'm confused...

1. FishFan Member Member

I guess, when reading the term "Partial water change", I thought it meant to vacuum the bottom and remove 25% of the water (all at the same time). So, am I not doing a partial water change correctly? Could this be the reason for such mortality in my tank? ??? I feel like a total dunce right now, but maybe this could also help out some other newbies. Thanks to anyone who knows.

2. onelovie Member Member

Hmm. That is also how I've done water changes for the last year and a half. I always vacuum the bottom and remove water at the same time. I usually do all over the bottom of my 10 gallon tank and usually one side each time on my 55 gallon tank. I usually do water changes religiously every 7-10 days. ???

3. FishFan Member Member

And you don't have fish dying often? Have you ever had a problem with dead fish? Like I said, I've medicated numerous times with different things and I just have no idea.

4. henline Initiate Member

My boy friend has fish since he was a little boy
    he does not do the bottom of the tak each time as you lose some of what
    has made the water

if that makes since

5. fletch Member Member

I only vacuum the bottom of the tank once every 6 months. If you put real plants in there they will feed off the waste in the gravel and recycle it

6. Adz Member Member

hey there,

I'm very new to this hobby...how do you vaccume the bottom and change the water at the same time?
    How do you Vaccume the bottom?

7. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Adz, you can buy gravel cleaners at any fish stores. They siphon out water, and at the same time pick up the gravel and siphon out debris. FishFan, I'm sure you're doing water changes correctly, so there must be other reasons for your fish dying.

8. FishFan Member Member

Yeah, I think someone figured it out for me...I rinse the wick/permanent filters with TAP water instead of leaving it alone...hence, I am washing away the bacteria needed in my tank! I didn't know! *shrug* But-I've learned-and that's what we're all here for :D