Now Ich... Poor Fish!

1. oOturquoiseOo Well Known Member Member

My poor fish have been having a pretty rough few days :( Wednesday morning just as we were getting ready to leave town for a few days the power went. Our Nautilus apparently crapped out since the last time we used it so we had no way to run the filter. I took the bio balls out of the canister and tossed them in the tank and hoped for the best. The power was gone for 12 hours. My parents went over and checked on everyone when it came back on and reprogrammed the light. My mom said everyone seemed to be doing fine. We got home on Friday and I saw that my tiny bn pleco had died. And now this morning I think I found ich on my tetras. At least 2 of them. :(

I turned the heater up a degree and plan to keep upping it slowly to about 85 F (from 77)

I don't have access to much in my tiny rural town. What else can I do to help the fish?

Thanks so much.

2. Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Keep the water clean and dont overfeed
    Im sure you could find an ick medicine, do you live anywhere close to a big city? Could you order an ick med online?

3. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

I never use ich meds during an outbreak. Just put temp up, add a bit of salt if there are no inverts in the tank and do daily gravel vacs to get rid of any fall offs down there for two weeks. If everyone is ich free at that point, I start turning the heater down and go back to weekly gravel vacs. Hasn't failed me yet and I haven't lost a fish to ich in years.

Only get outbreaks when something bad happens like introducing a new fish too early or something like a power outage messing with the cycle.

4. leelew32 Initiate Member

I treat Ick with heat alone every time. It works best. You need to get the temp up to 29c or 30 ideally at that temp Ick can't spread and it speads up its cycle length to around 3 day

It does depend on what fish are in there tho. They may not be able to take the heat I keep cichlid

I totally agree with kellye8498

Ick meds are nasty stuff and usual stain your aqurium silicon or worse if it's acrylic

5. ahmad.echols Member Member

Your bn might have died if you stay somewhere thats cold and your power was out instead of ich. Bristle noses are very susceptible to the cold mine died when my heater went out for a few hours

6. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Aw. I'm so sorry, I saw your other thread the other day and was worried that your filters wouldn't be able to re-prime themselves. I hope the heat treatment works and all your fish can tolerate the increased temperature. If the ich gets bad, I think there are some med options that won't stain. You've caught it early, though, so you should be fine. Good luck!

7. oOturquoiseOo Well Known Member Member

Thank you everyone!

I turned the heat up a bit again.

Right now the tank has an angelfish, 9 diamond tetras, and a kuhli loach. I think the tetras and the angelfish are ok at a higher temp but I haven't checked on the loach.

I did a huge water change and vacuumed all the gravel the day before the power went out. So thankfully the water should have been pretty clean. The filter was fine coming back on, it's a canister filter so when I pulled the bio balls out the water just went right back in and pushed all the air out. My mom checked it for me just in case. The sponge filter is perfect still too. Hopefully not too much bb died off.

I have the sponge filter for airation but I also added one of those air wall things just in case. I found the fishlore post about ich after I posted this. :)

I am not sure what happened to the pleco. I really liked him a lot. I'm sad he's gone. :(

I don't live close to a city. The closest "city" is 200 km away and unfortunately that's just where we came back from. If the heat doesn't work my parents are coming back from vacation on the 25th so I will ask them to pick something up. Living in rural Newfoundland doesn't allow for quick shipping, either :'( Getting it when my parents get back will probably be quicker.

I can't do a water change today (too late now) but I'll do one tomorrow.

Oh! I just remembered. Would a uv filter be useful for ich? I have one but haven't figured out how to get it hooked up yet (trying to find hoses/connectors to decrease in size and apparently it's harder than it seems it should be) I can try to get it hooked up tomorrow if it will help.

8. leelew32 Initiate Member

It would have to flow very slowly to be effective against Ick. Trust me get that Heat up and all will be will within a week without any other meds needed. I used to treat Ick with meds too some work some just stained stuff and stressed my fish. Once I lerned the heat way I'd never go back. Most times all signs will be gone within 3 days but keep the heat up for a least a week or two.

Adding air is a good idea as heat reduces oxygen in the tank. Keep us updated and good luck buddy.

9. oOturquoiseOo Well Known Member Member

Thanks. I'll update the thread.

Just checked, kuhli loaches are good up to 85 so I'm good. :)