Now I found Burt dead this morning

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's right I found my Burt dead. I had a feeling something was wrong with him because he's s been in hiding for quite awhile now. He was out 2 nights, but was in hiding for most of that day. That night I found him on one of the plants. He didn't look good at all. I did notice he had 2 white patches on his body and his head. Could he have had cotton wool disease? Does that kill them? Is it really contagious? I didn't see Burt at all yesterday, but I saw Ernie out and about. I just thought maybe Burt had been hiding again, but he must've been dead. I was looking for him this morning because I had saw Ernie, but not him and I took the purple paper off too see if he was on the back of heater and then I happened to look down in the gravel and there he was all covered in that white algae/fungus. Kind of looked like how their wafers get after a full day of sitting in there. I took him out and put him in a cup of water to kind of rinse him off a bit because i wanted to examine him, but he in pieces. I could see his rib cage. Could he may have gotten what Royell had? What ever he had it killed him within 3 days because that's when I noticed the white patches on him and he was in hiding a lot. I'm really upset about this.

I don't know if he had a disease or if he just died? What should I do about Ernie? I'm afraid to keep him in there. I don't want him to get sick too. The thing is is I just had to disinfect my hosp. tank because Royell had died and he was really sick with Dropsy and other bacterial infections. So the tank is no longer cycled. Should I still put him in there? I want and need to give the 5 gallon a good cleaning , so I need to take him out anyway. I just don't know if I should leave him in there. Another thing is I noticed that my bio-wheel is not working in there either. I don't know what's wrong with it.

Please help I don't know what to do. Natalie :-[

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to hear that.
Tom

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. I really wish I had good answers for you, but I'm still learning too. I'm just sorry that you had to go through this. Take care.
Sharon

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I cleaned my 5 gallon out yesteday and I dumped te gravel. I rinsed everything in very hot water, hoping that tat will be enough as far as disinfecting. I don't know if what Burt had was contageous or not. I saw a lot of things in te disease chart that involves have white patches on the body and they are all fungal. I'm assuming he got thatway he thetank was a little bit dirty then normal. I was so busy tending to my Betta , Royell, in the hospital,that I wasn't able to keep up with the water changes in 5 gallon. I did them, but they weren't as thorough as they usually are. Ernie, my other Otto is doing fine. I'll be getting another Otto cat and another Betta very soon. Natalie

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom