Noticeable (larger) 5 Gallon Fish?

Cole23

I recently set up an Aqueon MiniBow 5 gallon tank. Right now it has 4 male endlers in it and two mystery snails. My wife is not a fan of the endlers, she says they’re too tiny and difficult to see, she prefers larger more noticeable fish. So my wife wants a fish or multiple fish in the tank that are larger than endlers and easier to see. I realize a betta would be an obvious choice but I really want some Bloody Mary shrimp in this tank and don’t want to risk getting an aggressive betta that kills very expensive shrimp. I also thought about doing 3 male guppies but I had some in my Fluval Flex 15 gallon and they pooped so much and so often and was looking for something with a smaller bioload for this 5 gallon tank. Does anyone have any ideas for something bigger and more noticeable than endlers, but won’t kill my adult shrimp like a betta possibly could? Something like a honey gourami would be perfect if it could fit in a 5 gallon I realize it can’t, but good size, pretty color, peaceful, shrimp safe and appropriate for a 5 gallon? I looked over the 5 gallon stocking list and didn’t see many options, I realize choices are severely limited for a 5 gallon, just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. Thanks!
I recently set up an Aqueon MiniBow 5 gallon tank. Right now it has 4 male endlers in it and two mystery snails. My wife is not a fan of the endlers, she says they’re too tiny and difficult to see, she prefers larger more noticeable fish. So my wife wants a fish or multiple fish in the tank that are larger than endlers and easier to see. I realize a betta would be an obvious choice but I really want some Bloody Mary shrimp in this tank and don’t want to risk getting an aggressive betta that kills very expensive shrimp. I also thought about doing 3 male guppies but I had some in my Fluval Flex 15 gallon and they pooped so much and so often and was looking for something with a smaller bioload for this 5 gallon tank. Does anyone have any ideas for something bigger and more noticeable than endlers, but won’t kill my adult shrimp like a betta possibly could? Something like a honey gourami would be perfect if it could fit in a 5 gallon I realize it can’t, but good size, pretty color, peaceful, shrimp safe and appropriate for a 5 gallon? I looked over the 5 gallon stocking list and didn’t see many options, I realize choices are severely limited for a 5 gallon, just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. Thanks!

Should have mentioned, I’m looking to take the endlers out of the tank and add something else in their place!

Ghelfaire

For a "larger" more noticable fish a betta really is your best choice.
You can look into a male scarlet badis but again I'm not sure how well they do with shrimp.

Upvote 0

Cole23

For a "larger" more noticable fish a betta really is your best choice.
You can look into a male scarlet badis but again I'm not sure how well they do with shrimp.

That’s what I figured. I had mainly been looking at halfmoon male bettas because that’s what my wife likes. Would a female betta be less likely to kill adult shrimp or is the likelihood of them killing adult shrimp pretty equal amongst both sexes?

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

It's pretty equal. My female was perfectly fine with shrimp for about 2 months before going on a killing spree.
Maybe if you get a male dumbo halfmoon it'll be too slow to catch the shrimp.

Upvote 0

Cole23

It's pretty equal. My female was perfectly fine with shrimp for about 2 months before going on a killing spree.
Maybe if you get a male dumbo halfmoon it'll be too slow to catch the shrimp.

That’s true, maybe I’ll look for one of those, thanks!

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

That’s true, maybe I’ll look for one of those, thanks!
No problem, just add the shrimp first so they have a chance to start breeding.

Upvote 0

Cole23

No problem, just add the shrimp first so they have a chance to start breeding.

Yes I definitely planned on doing that. Do you know how many I should add to start with? I was thinking 12 but I definitely don’t want to add too many for my tank.

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

Yes I definitely planned on doing that. Do you know how many I should add to start with? I was thinking 12 but I definitely don’t want to add too many for my tank.
I would start with 5-6 and see if they breed first. With shrimp you can end up with a ton of babies.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cole23
Replies
Views
PNWBettas
Replies
Views
DanielleFish
Replies