nothinggggn note: just noticed wrong page lol Help 

plati221

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
okay so i have an algae eater and its doing absolutly nothing i just bought a few dayse ago and at the store it was sucking the floor and even the glass but hes just laying there in my tank and btw its 1/2 gallon because i have to document it for school project and two other fish then in a 10 gallon but thats besides the point so im not so sure if its sopose to be like that or somtin else help mee plz

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A half gallon tank for an algae eater is not big enough. You with only one fish are waaaaaaaayy over stocked, and its not healthy for the fish. Secondly if you have no algae he has nothing to eat. It makes me sad that your teacher would do a project like this because in all honestly this project is detrimental to the fishes health. And considering you are way over stocked with one fish adding two more will make the situation worse. Get to your LFS and get that pleco some algae wafers first of all and if you can please get a bigger tank for the sake of these fish. And please before your teacher has another class do this tell them to read up on these fish and how these fish may be dying unnecissarily for your project.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What kind of algae eater? His behavior can be attributed to water quality issues and cramped quarters.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
I hate to be so blunt, but sadly, your algea eater is not going to last very long in a 1/2 gallon bowl.
At the store, he was sucking algea and microorganisms off of the glass. The tanks at the store have been set up long enough that there was enough food for him. In a brand new tank or bowl, there's nothing for him to suck off of the glass.

Before doing anything with fish, it's important to learn about the nitrogen cycle and read about that particular fish's requirements.
This link explains the The Nitrogen Cycle
In a 1/2 gallon bowl, toxins build up quickly. If you haven't changed the water, it would be a good idea to do so.

Your algea eater is a tropical fish. He needs a warm consistant temperature.
In a 1/2 bowl, it's impossible to accomplish this unless your house is very warm and the temp stays consistant.
We could provide more information if we knew what kind of algea eater.

Do your self and the fish a favor and return him. The only thing you're going to be able to document is his death

Thread moved to the beginners section of the forum.

plati221

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
okay so found out that its a chinese algae eater so should i get the 10 gallon now or return it...

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In all honesty.......You need about a 20 gallon minimum for them.

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Scientific Name : Gyrinocheilos aymonieri
Common Names : Chinese Algae Eater, Indian Algae Eater, Sucker Loach, Sucker Fish, Golden Algae Eater

Care Level : Easy to Medium

Size : Up to 11 inches (28 cm)

pH : 6.5 - 7.5

Temperature : 75°F - 80°F (24°C - 27°C)

Water Hardness : 8° to 12° dH

Lifespan : 5 - 10 years

Origin / Habitat : Asia

Temperament / Behavior : As a juvenile it should be ok in a community tank but as it matures it can become a pest and should be removed from community tanks. It's probably best not to get them for community tanks in the first place. There are better algae eaters available for community tank setups.

Breeding / Mating / Reproduction : Difficult to breed in the home aquarium.

Tank Size : 55 gallon (208 liters) or larger.

Compatible Tank Mates : As adults, they may attach to the sides of larger flat bodied fish such as Angelfish and damage scales.

Fish Disease : Freshwater Fish Disease

Diet / Fish Food : Mostly algae but reported to eat algae less as it matures. Supplement with algae wafers.

Tank Region : Mostly on the bottom and sometimes on the tank walls and plant leaves.

Gender : Very difficult to determine difference between male and female.

Gallery Photos : Chinese Algae Eater Photos

Similar Species : Catfish

Fish Lore Forum : Chinese Algae Eater Forum

Scratch that 20 gallon.........you need a 55 gallon.......Id return him its for his best interest.

plati221

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
k will do thnx everyone 4 the support ur all right its the best for him

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Your welcome Plati.......Glad to hear your doing the right thing and also educate your teacher on this project.....Stand up for your fish friends.

plati221

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
will do

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry we didn't have better news for you.
I'm glad you'll be taking him back.

Perhaps if you tell us what sort of project your teacher wants you to do, we could help.
Maybe somthing about cycling a tank with out fish?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads