Nother new feesh!

Discussion in 'Dwarf Gourami' started by kinezumi89, Dec 22, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey all,

I got another feesh today! A male dwarf gourami to act as the centerpiece in my 20 long. He was the nicest looking one; fins erect, active, but not chasing anyone. He's also the biggest, I don't think he'll get too much bigger.

He's currently acclimating in a 5.5 gallon tank. I had the lights off, so I don't have a full tank shot (so you can see the second installment of rainbowfantastyplants), but here's a quick picture of him until I get better ones tomorrow.

He had his fins all standing up in the bag and didn't seem unhappy at all, though when I came to add small amounts of water to the bag (not drip acclimating, since he wasn't shipped, and the water is similar to mine), he'd try and hide in the corner of the bag. I added him and he quickly zipped behind a plant, huffing and puffing. After a few minutes, he started swimming around, and even chomped on a little bit of Indian almond leaf that was floating around (I tossed a couple in). I plan to add PraziPro with the next water change. (For some reason I don't like adding it right away, and acclimating a new fish into medicated water.)

He's so cute! I love his little deely-boppers (the skinny dangly things...not sure what they're called :p) I can't wait to see him swim around with the lights on. I'll upload a full tank shot and better-lit pictures of him tomorrow.

Without further ado, meet Igor! :)

12-22-12 1.JPG

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

You and your feesh.

Looks nice. I hope he works out for you.

3. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I'm not especially fond of gouramis but he is a handsome little devil. I love the iridescent coloring.

4. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

He looks very nice for a DG fresh out of the shop. All the ones I see in stores are miserable things, with very dark heads. Good luck with him- he looks great.

5. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

He's a handsome one, for sure!

6. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I saw some of the "red flames" with dark heads; I wasn't sure if that was just a coloring thing? Maybe it is for them.

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to watch him swim around tomorrow.

CN, I had explained in the last thread, before my misclicking lost the draft; I call them "feesh." :) When I walk up to the tank to feed them, I greet them saying "Hi feesh!" And they respond by swimming vigorously and begging for food as if I've never fed them. I'm sure the angels will fit right in :p

7. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I talk to some of my fish too. Especially my baby Angels. I feel terribly silly doing it.

Your DG is pretty darn good looking. :)

8. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Haha I don't feel silly at all :) I talk to my bettas too. I call them "beetas," but that's because my TA for math two semesters ago had a heavy accent and said "beeta" instead of "beta." So it sort of stuck. :p

Thank you! He was the biggest, most active one. I hope he wasn't the alpha male, and won't be too aggressive towards the endlers. But Magoo and Fe both had/have DGs with endlers so I have high hopes. I'll definitely be watching them like a hawk. :)

9. Eienna

I talk to mine, too, but we all already know I'm silly so it doesn't matter. XD

10. Msheresy

Msheresy Valued Member Member

I talk fish in every tank. I try not to let the bf hear. He got on to me for talking to my garden plants last year...... Lol

11. s

sambofish Valued Member Member

Hahaha I haven't started talking to the feesh yet. But I talk to my dog every day. FYI I talk to all dogs.

12. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Oh, I have entire conversations with my cat. It's okay, he joins in. ;) It's pretty funny that he can tell when we're talking to him. When we address him and talk to him he meows back and responds. :p It's gotten even worse as of late, instead of my boyfriend and I telling each other things, we tell the cat, but assuming the other one is listening...We call the cat Chubs (his official name is Kepler, but when we first got him and he was chubby, and before we picked a name, we started calling him "chubby kitty" and eventually "Chubs" stuck), and I'll say "Chubs, tell him we need to get bread at the store" or something like that...if I didn't have a boyfriend I'd totally be a crazy cat lady :;smack

13. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Nothing takes your mind off losing a fish like getting a new one :) I hope he works out for you. At some point I might try them again....

14. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I talk to my cats and also to my fish. They are "mommy's little fishy babies". My husband already thinks I'm strange so it's OK.

15. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Jaysee, I remember the thread (I think I mentioned it in my "new centerpiece" thread) where you and other members discussed how DGs don't last much past six months these days, due to overbreeding. I'm hoping this guy will last; I'll certainly do my best to give him a healthy tank to live in. Also I didn't get him from a chain store, so maybe that will help.

oscarsbud, my boyfriend talks to the cat too so it's okay :) He is right now actually, haha.

16. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Over breeding is certainly a factor with their current state of poor health. However, it's dwarf gourami disease that kills them. Who knows, maybe the two are tied together. Maybe it's the same thing.

17. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Can anyone who's had a DG comment on normal recently-transferred DG behavior? I've left the light on his tank off for te last few days, though the other tanks in the room are on, so it isn't dark dark. But he's always either hiding in the plants or zipping up and down the walls of the tank. I read online that they're timid fish and he's definitely supporting that claim currently. When can I expect him to settle down?

18. Eienna

Maybe he finds it frightening that the light's off XDD

19. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Hello :)

When I got mine it took a few days for my male to settle but my female was fearless from the start RIP my babies.

To get Grunt to settle I used to sit in front of the tank to get used to me and after a while curiosity got the better of him and he started coming over I didn't move at first just watched him and was careful when moving away not to startle him.

After a while when he would come over I started putting my finger up to the glass to get him used to me being a bit closer and eventually he came even closer after doing that for a while he used to follow my finger which was really cute.

Eventually he was used to me and came over as soon as I came up to his tank. Liara on the other hand only came over if I had a tub of food in my hand.

It is mostly down to the personality of the fish so sometimes they are just really timid but given time they will learn that we aren't big scary monsters but bringers of food and sources of entertainment :)

20. Eienna

Like when we slip on a spill from changing their water. WHAAAA!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice