Not Swimming Or Eating.

maverickcnd

Reaction score
My Betta isn't his normal self. He won't eat. He comes for food, takes it but just spits it back out. Now he won't swim. He comes up for air, then swims to the bottom and rests. He doesn't move. He does have 2 maybe 3 "tiny balls" on his tail. He did have an issue with fin ________. Not 100% Sure what the blank is (possibly fin rot). We treated him and other than his Tail not back to normal, he was.

Wondering if he just ate something wrong or what. He's not bloated or anything other than the "tiny balls" on his tail. Sorry no other pics. He won't show himself.
9d4e918060e160d4ccd76d82bab1a5dd.jpg

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Do these "tiny balls" look similar to grains of salt?

Tank size? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph levels? Temperature? Does he have a heater and filter? How did you "treat" the fin rot?

If you experienced fin rot and are now dealing with this, I suspect water quality issues. Please post the answers to the questions above so we can help more.

maverickcnd

Reaction score
MissRuthless said:
Do these "tiny balls" look similar to grains of salt?

Tank size? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph levels? Temperature? Does he have a heater and filter? How did you "treat" the fin rot?

If you experienced fin rot and are now dealing with this, I suspect water quality issues. Please post the answers to the questions above so we can help more.
The balls are about the size of salt but not white. They are the same colour as his tail.

72gal community tank, consisting of 3 SAE and 3 cardinal tetras. It's not his personal tank. Yes heated @80deg F. Filtered as well. Containes one live plant and a few rocks.

The fin rot (which I don't believe was what it was but hadn't come up with an explanation, symptoms weren't all the same) was treated by increasing water temp, adding aquarium salt and API's Pimafix (as prescribed on bottle) As well as frequent water changes.

In regards to ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. 0/0/20-40, pH unknown. Don't have a test kit for it.

Sorry, no new pics of him, he still the same.
5534bcb8bea9d577d240d3f0a69344a3.jpg
5bfb674f8c77ef99c13cda24d25a1933.jpg
af9ae90836e3f4fd920b4dd5e5717918.jpg

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Would love to see a closeup of the tail if you're able to get one. Perhaps it grew back weirdly after the fin rot? (Fin rot is a symptom, whether caused by bacterial infection, subpar water, fungus or else) I know sometimes spitting out food can be a sign of a parasitic infection, but I've noticed my gouramis and past bettas have done it just because they realize they don't want what they just ate for whatever reason. You say this isn't his personal tank, how did he end up there? Perhaps he is just stressed being away from home and in a new place. I kept a few bettas in my 55g at different times and they all were a bit overwhelmed with the large tank at first.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom