Not Surviving

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by star17325, Aug 4, 2017.

1. star17325

star17325 Valued Member Member

I just bought 30 ghost shrimp for my 30g tank today. It only had snails in it before hand. When I bought them, I had 3 maybe 4 berried shrimp. 2 of my berried females died before they could release. I bought them from Petsmart this morning. I've lost 11 out of the 30 so far. Is that a normal to lose about 1/3 of them? I got them because they were cheap and hoping to let them breed and then feed them to my 4 GSP.

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

What are your parameters in that tank?
    Welcome to Fishlore.

3. OP
    OP
    star17325

They are in range for the shrimp. PH is 7.5 ammonia is 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates are about 20. I even slowly acclimated them by slowing switching the water in their bag to transition them. There's several live plants, driftwood, and moss balls. Filter is a nat geo cf50 canister filter with a sponge on the end of the filter as not to suck the shrimp larvae up. And a heater set at 78°F. I do have a HOB filter I can use instead if needed.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  4. KimberlyG

Make sure those nitrates are below 20. Targeting for 10 or below at all times is best. The can not tolerate nitrates. I made that mistake in the past.

5. OP
    OP
    star17325

Ok, I was using the test strips, I know they are not very reliable. I need to get a master kit for my tanks. It's actually pretty clear, just my phone takes horrible pics of everything lol but this is their tank.
    f1e2c948aa089502c3c76a3f78376845.jpg

6. KimberlyG

I see nothing wrong with your set up.

7. OP
    OP
    star17325

I did research them, I would've gotten other shrimp but can't see spending $3+ for even red cherry shrimp just to feed to my puffers. Maybe 1 day I will do some of the other types.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice