Not Sure Why Some Of My Adult Female Guppies Are Dying

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Kittish, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Kittish

KittishNew MemberMember

17768ECB-5244-4D1D-9A96-FCF74F58A147.jpeg A bunch of my fish have been dying and most of them are female guppies (I have about 40 guppies male and female). Before this one died, it had a bloody spot and had a hole in its bottom. Note that at the point that the photo was taken she was still respirating but could not swim, and died about 12 hours later. Not sure if this is the cause of a bacterial disease, and if it is, is there any way other than antibiotics to treat it and will it wipe out my entire tank? Currently only a few fish seem to be affected and are lying in the substrate, and many exhibiting this behavior have died in the past few weeks.

Aquarium: 15 gallon, heater, aqua clear 30
    Ammonia, Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 10 ppm
    Ph: 6.4
    About 40 guppies- about 15 mixed breed male adult and 3 pure bred male adult 10 adult female and 15 1 week old
    I do weekly water changes and run filter full power 24/7 , and feed them Fancy Guppy 3 times a day

2. Zigi Zig

Zigi ZigWell Known MemberMember

Morning
    Your water parameters are good, you do have quite large amount of fish in small tank are you sure your test kits are good and not expired .. Is other fish that died had red spot as well?

3. Lacey D

Lacey DWell Known MemberMember

Surprised this didn't get more traffic :/ How are they doing now? The first thing I note is that, as Zigi said, you have a lot of guppies in 15 gallons. The other thing is that your male/female ratio seems WAY off--male guppies will chase females relentlessly, and should be kept at a ratio of 3 females for every male, ideally.
    Stress can trigger a lot of disease in fish, such as fin rot (which it looks like she has, if I'm seeing that right. Her tail fin is pretty destroyed). She is also VERY skinny. If you possibly can, I would pull all the females into their own space. Even a plastic tub works for this, if you can keep it filtered and heated, so it doesn't have to cost a fortune, or you might luck out and find a cheap used tank on craigslist or at a thrift store. This will give them their best chance at recovery if it is stress.

4. Whitewolf

WhitewolfWell Known MemberMember

Flukes can cause issues that lead to secondary infections
    A great cure is Corey from youtube he own a store in seattle, his channel is aquarium co op
    Erythomycin + General cure + Ich X

Its a really good treatment. The majority of infections on guppies are gram positive and respond to tetracycine drugs or Erythomycin\
    Did the fish scratch themselves a lot?
    Clamped Fins?

Flukes, skin and body, can cause a lot of unseen issues. The best way to deal with this would be prazipro several times a week apart.
    Don't let sick fish die in the tank! That will make them all sick
    The best treatment they have it at petsmart its called EM. Erythomycin. (Air-reeth-Row-my-sin ) Its like $18

5. Comet-Aurum

Comet-AurumValued MemberMember

Once I had my guppy die like this and it seems like fin rot, stress, & not getting food or loosing access to the food. Because from the looks she is really skinny and her fin is almost not there. The males might have been nipping her fins and she had been really stressed out. Plus letting the fish die in the tank can cause ammonia and other toxic things you really don't want in your tank.