Not sure what's growing on my net breeder

Bahamut

So about a week ago my swordtail gave birth to three fry and I had them in a small little container with an Anacharis until I could buy a net breeder. I moved them over to the net breeder in my main tank and it came with some plastic plants but I threw in the Anacharis because they seemed to like it (they definitely prefer it over the plastics ). Its my first time dealing with Anacharis stems and I didn't know that they grow roots the way this one is! it has roots coming out of three nodes and they're poking through my net breeder. Today I noticed there's some white fuzz on the bottom of the net breeder where one of the earliest roots has poked through. I've seen fungus in the tank and it looks a lot like it.. but I'm just not sure if its possible for it to be growing there.. Nor why it would be growing.. or if it has to do with the roots.. or if its harmful to my fry.

And I'm not sure if this is relevant to the white fuzzy stuff, but the day after my fry were born, I noticed some white spots on my swordtails. Since this had been my first ick outbreak I wasn't quite sure what to do and was figuring it out along the way.. but to make a long story short I raised the the temp. to 86 and I've been doing water changes and the ick seems to be gone now.

Any idea what the white fuzz would be? Should I take my fry out of the net breeder?

Aquaphobia

From a terrestrial gardening standpoint the "white fuzz" sounds like root hairs. I'm not absolutely certain that plants growing under the water would need them so much but young and rapidly growing plants need all the nutrients they can gather and root hairs (like villI in the intestine) increase the surface area through which they can absorb them

Bahamut

That had crossed my mind... but they were so thin and fluffy.. never seen any root hairs like that. But being as paranoid as I am, I moved the fry so I could clean the net and did a water change because well.. why not ;D

Aquaphobia

Hey, better safe than sorry!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bcsay720
  • Question
Replies
Views
Ghelfaire
Replies
Views