not sure what to do

1. G

Guppy2000 Valued Member Member

Well, my younger brother came home today with a "gift" for me. He came with a single Julii corydora for my 5.5 gallon.
    I already know they need at least 3 more to feel comfortable. There is know way I can bring this fish back because he'll be really sad, and I won't be able to get any more for at least 5 days...... He seems to just hang out at the back of the tank eating an algae waffer. Will he die or be really stressed by himself? Sorry for the long post.

Riley

Attached Files:

2. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

Yes. They need to be in a group of 4 or more. They need at least a 40 gal for all four because they need 10 gal each. If you can't get more our can't upgrade you have to take him back:'( small tank and no friends is why he's so stressed out.
    if like this for to long he will get sick. Here is a link for the care of these wonderful. Fish

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/catfish2/fl/Julii-Cory.htm

3. N

Nuthatch Valued Member Member

That was really sweet of your little brother, even if misguided. Can you explain to him about the size of the tank & the fish being so scared & unhappy with no friends? And perhaps the two of you could pick out something more appropriate for the tank size?

4. I love my puffer

That's a good idea if you can't keep him:) Mabey a school of tetras??

5. fengshui

fengshui Valued Member Member

i disagree with i love my puffer where he said that the cories need at least a 40 gallon for all 4 and that they needed 10 gallons each. they can get by at at least 20 gallons

6. celizabethh3

celizabethh3 Valued Member Member

Ideally they should be kept in a group of six. I believe a 20 gallon LONG could work for them but I'm not 100% sure. Coradee will be able to help you as she's the cory expert! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. I love my puffer

Thank you for feedback, but I strongly recommend buying them a bigger tank then they can " get by in". From my personal experience 10 gal each is ideal for this fish and I've kept Cory's for a LONG time ( 5 years) and they need AT LEAST a group of 4.

Sent from my XT1030 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. fengshui

fengshui Valued Member Member

but 10 gallons for each cory is ridiculous. Cories only use the amount of square footage mostly and not volume. So each time a tank is upgraded, the square footage does not double then the one preceded.

9. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That was sweet of your brother but I agree with nuthatch, explain that they're a shoaling fish & your tank isn't big enough for him to have friends as they should be kept in groups of 6+ & you should return him. They also aren't algae eaters they're 95% carnivores & btw he isn't a Julii he's a trilineatus.
    If you can upgrade then a 20 gallon is fine for a group of 6, they certainly don't need 10 gallons per fish as footprint is more important than volume for corys

10. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

If you aren't able to upgrade your tank size to accommodate a school of 6+ (20 gallon long is good) I would explain to your brother that the fish is sad on his own and would be happier back with his friends (not sure how old your brother is so tailor this to his age obviously!). You can always go to the fish store with your brother to return the Cory and together pick out a more suitable fish or a shrimp or snail if your tank is already crowded. That way he'll still feel involved in picking out the "gift" for you and won't be as hurt.