Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Not Sure What Snail This Is.

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Dch48, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

I bought a very small snail at PetSmart. They charged me the same price as for a Nerite and said it was a Horned Nerite. I'm not sure of that because it has no horns at all even though it has gotten larger. It's shell is a yellowish color with a single brown stripe. It is pretty active and always has it's feelers extended which are very long and look like they are segmented. That's probably just the color though. The shape of the shell is also different from the other Nerites I have seen. The white mark you see is just that, a mark. It does not protrude at all.
    Snail.jpg

2. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

That is indeed a horned nerite. I see the horns. One on the bottom and one on top (unless the one on the top is just a reflection).

3. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Those are not horns, they are it's feelers.

4. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Can you take a better photo?

5. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I think she means the white on the shell.

6. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Yeah the one on top... could be a reflection but that looks like a horned nerite. I have seen many of those at petsmart because I wanted one. Some had horns and some didn’t... most of them were dead. The ones that were alive didn’t look so good so I went with a zebra.

7. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

I said the white is just a mark. It does not protrude like the horns I have seen in pictures of Horned Nerites. Maybe it's where a horn broke off? It was like that when I got him. I can try to get another picture but he's rarely out in the open like that. The key to buying a snail at PetSmart is to pick one that is crawling around or is at least stuck to the glass or a rock. Then you know they are not dead. I've had good luck with snails from there. They always live at least 6 or 7 months and since their life expectancy is about a year and you don't know how old they are when you get them that's about all you can expect in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  8. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Regardless, I do believe it's a nerite, just not sure if it's a horned one. I know there are at least a few species in the same genus labeled nerite, so I'd expect some slight differences in the shape of the shells.

9. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Yes there are many different variations. I agree that it does look like a Horned Nerite but the absence of horns has made me wonder.

10. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

You'll need to post a better pic, because the one you have right now just isn't going to work. Take the snail out and take a pic, if you have to.

11. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

I’m with nerite. Could it be that it’s young and the horns grow on as it gets older? Never had one.

12. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

From what he’s describing “yellowish in color with a brown stripe” it’s a horned nerite... that was the only yellow nerite I could find when I searched for them. PetSmart (the one in California anyway) only sells horned, zebra and tiger nerites. Some locations carry the black racer but I’ve only come across one in all of the PetSmart’s I’ve been to looking for these horned ones.

If it’s a white mark (not the one at the tip of the shell) then it may have broken off. I’ve seen a lot of them without the horns because they were damaged thus why I didn’t purchase them. Not sure if they grow back though.

And yes, you’re absolutely correct... I picked up a zebra from there that was moving around in the tank. It hasn’t produced any eggs so I believe he’s a male (fingers crossed). He’s been very active in my tank since I put him in almost a month ago.

13. midnaWell Known MemberMember

14. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

I have gotten 5 Nerites (including this one) from PetSmart and have never seen a single egg. Not even when 3 were in the same tank together. Maybe something in my water stops reproduction because my Neocaridina shrimp have also never produced any offspring.

15. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Hmm.. maybe it’s a petsmart thing. Since you have experience with these snails (as it’s my first), may I ask you to take a look at my thread? I’m having a hard time figuring out what the problem may be (if any)

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...rd-stuff-on-nerite-shell.403566/#post-4123135

16. mlashNew MemberMember

Nerite's will not produce unless they are in brackish water. :)

17. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

They’ll lay eggs in fresh water but they won’t hatch.