Not Sure This Is Considered Algea, Think It's Mold

Discussion in 'Algae' started by CathyS, Jul 13, 2019.

1. CathyS

CathySNew MemberMember

Not sure if mold is algea or if this is even mold but this is in my tank. It was once and I totally cleaned out my tank but it's back. What do I do to get rid of it?

Attached Files:

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Looks like brown algae. Shrimp would eat it pretty readily.

3. OP
    OP
    CathyS

CathySNew MemberMember

I guess I should have also said this is in my betta tank

4. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Diatoms ..They are common in new set ups and eventually take care of themselves ..
    May be a couple weeks but they go away just like they showed up ?

5. MrBryan723

If you can easily brush them off the plants with water movement they are totally diatoms. Didn't even think about that.

6. OP
    OP
    CathyS

CathySNew MemberMember

Is there something I can buy at the store that I can put in the tank that will kill the algea without killing my fish? I thought I saw something that does that

7. MrBryan723

If it is diatoms, it is a bacteria and not an algae. And the thing with them is they will still be there, just dead. Really they are one you should probably just let run its course. But any fish safe algaecide would do the trick for an algae. Hydrogen peroxide works for bacteria, but you would have to turn off your filter because it will also crash your cycle and they would just come back after treatment.

8. OP
    OP
    CathyS

CathySNew MemberMember

So I should just leave it there? Will it go away? l did a total clean out and wipe down of the tank, rocks, decorations and outside of the heater, thermometer and filter unit. It just came back. It looks awful.