Question Not sure on type of puffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohyouknow

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok, so I bought what I was told was a dwarf puffer two days ago. I went back into the pet store today to find out if they had happened across any snails (or if they could order me some for cheap), and was talking to the shop owner. He was pleased to find out I was the one who bought the wee puffer in his tank, since it had been eating his barbs alive for three weeks or so. He also told me that it was a (please forgive the spelling, it's phonetic) Fococka Puffer, and that he could get larger than a dwarf. He did say it was strictly fresh water, but since I don't know how to spell it, I can't find information on him online. Is it really something different than a dwarf? Or did they just find some reason to charge me way more for the same thing?

(green spot puffers there marked@ $7.00, dwarf puffers for $9, and when they looked him up - it was $22. but I had to have him...)

trying to get a picture; just so you know - but he's so stubborn!
Hello. I've merged your posts since they were back to back.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
oh, I think I may have found it...at least what the pet store said he was. Mine doesn't look like this though. I wish he would let me just take a photo (a good one)...

Mine KIND of looks like him, but his back is light green, dark on his sides, white belly - no stripes. But he is the closest resemblance I see out of any pictures I find. If this is him, it looks like I'll be needing a much bigger tank as he grows, since they say they get up to 17 inches long...

*edit* haha, you beat me. Going to try and get him out of hiding for a photo op.

This photo (above) was yesterday. I know, it's a terrible picture but the charger for my digicam is junk (fail.)... He doesn't look like this today, however... he keeps coming out until he sees my phone pop up to take a picture.

Ok, this is the best I could get so far - he's peeking out behind the ship. To me, it looks like he's looking MORE like the fahaka puffer today.

I wonder: I have 4 minnows in the tank he keeps hunting. It's ok, as they are bait fish (will be gone and used this weekend) If I had a spot to stick them (bigger tank is mid cycle, I could toss them in there - but ehh...) I guess I just wonder if his color changed because he is hunting? is that why he is so 'hidey'? He just keeps stalking them, and staying hidden.

Or is his color change something to be alarmed about??

Hello. I've merged your posts since they were all back to back. There is an EDIT key at the bottom of every post that you can use for corrections and or additional thoughts should there be no responses between. It helps to save a little space on the forum.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

Ok, these are the best pics I could snag with my camera phone yesterday. Does he look like a Fahaka Puffer to you? I realize he is still a baby - if he is. He's almost 2 inches long (with tail).

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does his eye have a look like a walleye? if it is the puffer I'm thinking of (not sure of the name) they are VERY dormant during the day and will kill and mome others in the tank with them at night.

OP
Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
oo! I actually see stripes on him today. Maybe he just needed time to get comfy.

Jesskb

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That looks like a Fahaka to me. He's going to need 120g minimum by the time he's full grown. If you plan on keeping him, don't feed him anymore minnows. He should be fed snails/crustaceans only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom