Not sure if possible with this volume - dwarf hairgrass carpet without co2

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Gupps the Icepick, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Gupps the IcepickNew MemberMember

Hello all, :;hi1

I feel a little silly asking this question, but it's been a few years since I've last kept a serious planted tank. I used to be somewhat proficient in this sort of thing but I've been trying to come up with a logical answer in my head and it's not really happenin'. :) I just need to know if this is safe (for the fish) and/or reasonable to expect to happen.

Here's the deal: I've got a 4 gallon (older) Finnex model currently housing one 3 year old betta named Senator Frank Underwater. He's blue and adorably cross with me at all times. His home is equipped with a florescent plant light, heater, and small HOB filter, He gets fruit flies once a week. I very much care for his well-being over any aesthetic desires of my own.

However, I wish to carpet the substrate with some nice dwarf hair grass. Currently, the Senator has got generous amounts of java moss to sleep on - but my attempts to make it look nice and grassy have failed. I have a standard gravel substrate. I foolishly planted some root tabs at one point but it did very little except make some algae happy.

My question has two parts: 1.) Is there a nice cheaper alternative substrate in which to plant the dwarf hairgrass? If not, that's fine but I would like to save a little on that.

2.) Is it possible to grow dwarf hairgrass without CO2 injection? If not, I strongly doubt I will be able to realize my vision for such a small water volume, although to be fair Frank could probably breathe just fine at the surface. I have made DIY CO2 reactors before and I know I could make another one on a smaller scale for him.

I really appreciate any help or suggestions either way! Thank you all! :;hug2 I also apologize if this subject has been touched on, I searched back a few pages and didn't find much on this particular topic.

2. NicoFord

NicoFordValued MemberMember

Echo complete is a great substrate for all plants. As for growing without co2 I'm not sure it would carpet like you want

Sent from my VS840 4G using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice