Not Sure If Numbers Are Good Or Not?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Stacy Owens, May 11, 2019.

1. Stacy Owens

Stacy OwensNew MemberMember

Hello! I don't know if these numbers are bad or good?

Do I need to add anything to the water or do a water change? It was an old tank with anubias in it. I broke it down, changed the filter out(HOB with a carbon filter), changed the substrate and 100% water change on Wednesday. I had a 7.2 PH and 1pm Ammonia that day, it was tested as soon as I put the water in the tank with Prime.

PH 7.4 or 7.5- too high
    Ammonia 1.0
    Nitrite .25
    Nitrate 0

Any help is appreciated thanks!

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

If there are fish in the tank, the numbers are bad, if there are no fish in the tank, the numbers indicate that your tank is starting to cycle and that's good. Your total ammonia and nitrite need to be below 1.0, if there are fish in there, and you need to treat the tank with Prime while it cycles. If you need advice while cycling the tank with or without fish, you've come to the right place. This will help you understand the nitrogen cycle:
    https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

3. MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14Well Known MemberMember

I agree with everything said above. Just so you know, you ideally want 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, and 0-20ppm nitrate.

4. OP
    OP
    Stacy Owens

No fish, but I have nerite snails. They are hating these parameters. Thanks for answering!

5. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

The ammonia and nitrite are bothering them. Nerites are good water condition barometers. Do you need help with cycling the tank? It will take a few weeks to fully cycle, could take less time if you could temporarily re-house the Nerites and use ammonia and a bacterial culture to speed up the process...

6. OP
    OP
    Stacy Owens

This is the only tank I have unfortunately.