Not sure if new tank is cycled

Mazkeral

Hello you good people,
I've had a 20 gallon tank for around two months which I cycled beforehand of course. After the cycle had been completed I added in live plants with a betta and five glowlight tetras. I then purchased five rummynose tetras and tested my tank parameters and I was getting a reading of Ammonia: 0, Nitrite: 0 & Nitrate: 0. I'm assuming the plants have consumed or are consuming the nitrites. Yesterday I was just watching my betta and he appears stressed. He was "glass surfing" swimming up and down the side of the tank. Afterwards I saw the rummynose stalking behind him and one of them nipped his bottom fin. I then rushed out and bought 3.7 gallon tank setup, which included gravel, filter, heater & light. I set up the 3.7 gallon, also taking a small cup of substrate and a plant from the 20 gal, and let it run over night. I did a water test for the 3.7 in the morning, and received the same test results for the 20 gal. So I'm a bit confused if the 3.7 gal did in fact instantly cycle or it didn't work?
Please let know your thoughts or advice as I have no idea.

Thanks soo much,
- Maz.

Flyfisha

Hi Mazkeral
Welcome to fishlore.
The short answer is No the new tank is not completely cycled.

You could move the betta for its own safety to the uncycled tank ? Doing a fish in cycle just requires lots of water changes and time. As you have another tank that SEEMS to be cycled then moving any hard objects like the gravel you have moved will transfer some bacteria.

“assuming the plants have consumed or are consuming the nitrites” did you mean nitrates?

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

Generally one fish wont change parameters overnight. Keep checking and do water changes when needed. It is better he isnt getting chased anymore.

Mazkeral

Hi Mazkeral
Welcome to fishlore.

You could move the betta for its own safety to the uncycled tank ? Doing a fish in cycle just requires lots of water changes and time. As you have another tank that SEEMS to be cycled then moving any hard objects like the gravel you have moved will transfer some bacteria.

“assuming the plants have consumed or are consuming the nitrites” did you mean nitrates?
Sorry, yes I meant Nitrates.
Hi Mazkeral
Welcome to fishlore.

I could possibly do a fish-in cycle with nitrifying bacteria (such as Dr tim's one and only). Dose the bacteria before or after the fish is fed. Do you think this will help cycling the new tank?

mattgirl

I could possibly do a fish-in cycle with nitrifying bacteria (such as Dr tim's one and only). Dose the bacteria before or after the fish is fed. Do you think this will help cycling the new tank?
Moving bacteria from your cycled tank over to the new tank will work much better than anything you can buy in a bottle. Where is your betta right now? If he is still in the 20 gallon tank fill the tiny tank with water from the 20 gallon tank and move him over to the little tank. By doing so there is no need for acclimation. If he is already in the little tank please ignore this recommendation.

Moving some of the gravel and the plant will have moved bacteria to this tank. You may never get a ammonia or nitrite reading. Don't go overboard on feeding him and the bacteria you moved over should remove any ammonia he produces. Eventually nitrates will start going up but may never go very high with just one little fish in there. Your weekly water changes and the plant you moved over may keep them down to negligible levels.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tangent
  • Question
Replies
Views
MrBryan723
Replies
Views
Culprit
Replies