Not sure if my filter is working properly

Jhawk117

Reaction score
Hi, I’m not sure if my filter is working properly. Lately, it has not been picking up excess waste or any of the leftover food. Is it time to get a new one?

Tristen

Reaction score
Jhawk117 said:
Hi, I’m not sure if my filter is working properly. Lately, it has not been picking up excess waste or any of the leftover food. Is it time to get a new one?
How long have you had the filter for? Ideally your filter is not for removing fish waste or fish food. It is to provide a center for the beneficial bacteria to grow to reduce ammonia and nitrites. Of course it may assist in removing some of these things, but it is not the priority. If you have a lots of phish waste laying around and excess food it may mean that you are overfeeding. It may also mean that you don’t have enough beneficial bacteria built up to breakdown the waste.

LanceDog

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As said your filter is not there to pick up as much leftover food and waste as possible. Food and waste will settle to the bottom. The filter is not going to get that. That's why you use a gravel vac and change the water. Don't allow access food to accumulate or sink to the floor. If you're dropping in food for bottom feeders, remove the excess when they're done with it (like w/ a turkey baster).

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree. If you are not over-feeding, you should not have excess food to remove. I almost never remove excess food.

I have done some gravel vacuuming, but I do less now. I have snails and plants that seem to keep things pretty well in balance.

Over feeding and water changes keep things pretty healthy. I also like snails as cleaners.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When was the last time you cleaned your filter? What size tank? What type of filter? How often do you change water and how much? How old is filter?

New Threads