Not Sure If My Blue Crayfish Had Babies

Discussion in 'Freshwater Videos' started by sfern, Apr 23, 2018.

1. sfernNew MemberMember

So I recently discovered so many tiny creatures in my tank. They are very tiny and white. I only have had one blue crayfish for two years and I read they are able to reproduce asexually, but after looking at photos and never seeing eggs I am starting to think they are not blue crayfish. Can anyone help??

2. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Those are copepods, a harmless freshwater crustacean. A lot of fish love eating them and are great live foods for picky eaters. Do you have live plants? Perhaps are you over feeding? Both will contribute to a larger population of these critters.

As a side note, I do not think the blue crays can reproduce w/o a mate. There are definitely self cloning crayfish but as far as I know they are all brown an rather drab looking, often used for live food as they are very prolific.

3. sfernNew MemberMember

Thank you for your reply, I do not have live plants and I probably throw in one algae tablet a day. There are hundreds all over my tank that appeared suddenly, is that normal?
    Oh I see, from what I had read it said that some crayfish are born with both female and male parts and at that point they would be able to reproduce asexually. The internet could be wrong though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice