Not sure how but am I killing my Water Wisteria???

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Blk69, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Blk69Valued MemberMember

Not sure how but am I killing my Water Sprite??

Newbe on aquarium plants. Purchased a Water Sprite last week at the LFS, huge plant 2+ feel long. It had a few shoots that were starting to root so I broke them off and planted in my gravel substrate.

Today my plant has some new growth that is a bright healthy green color. Other parts of the plant are turning a lighter green (color of celery as it ages). The new growth appears to grow a couple inches daily. The lighter stuff looks like it is barely hanging on.

I have my plant in a 75 gal tank. Doing a 7% (5 gal bucket) water change every other day. Was using soften water (have water softener) now using water straight from well. Have about a 35% hard water percentage. 2, 4' T8 lamps on 10 hours a day plus a fair bit of natural light. Getting brown algae growing on tank.

Is this normal? Am I watching my plant die? Was hoping for a hearty plant to start with. What should I do next?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  2. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Can you post a picture of the wisteria? Did you buy it in emersed form?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Are your T8 bulb in the 6500k-7500k range? Are they full spectrum?

4. DolfanFishlore VIPMember

It sounds like your plants are adjusting to your water, this is normal. The fact that you have new good looking growth, means you are doing something good or at least ok. Probably the older growth melting back a bit. Give them some time to adjust and they should be fine in a few weeks.

Are you using any ferts? Perhaps a good all purpose fert like Seachem Flourish Comprehensive may help to round out anything the plants are missing.

Also, here is a link to an article I put together on getting started with low light / low tech plants....

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/297-how-set-up-low-light-low-tech-planted-tank.html

5. Blk69Valued MemberMember

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  6. Blk69Valued MemberMember

Here part that is looking bad. Starting to turn whitish yellow

7. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

That is actually Water Sprite not Wisteria. Water Sprite is an aquatic fern that is fairly easy to grow. Either left floating or planted. It does best with moderate light and water column fertilizers. Beautiful plant you have there!

8. Blk69Valued MemberMember

can you recommend a water column fertilizer that is safe for invertebrates and scale less fish.

9. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

I recommend Seachem flourish

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. DolfanFishlore VIPMember

I also recommend Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. Any fertilizer made for aquariums will be safe for inverts and fish. They may contain a little bit of copper, but just enough to benefit plants, and not hurt inverts.

11. Blk69Valued MemberMember

This is a strange plant. Parts of my plant look almost dead. Form these dead spots new growth is coming and it is bright green with roots. Is this normal?

Should I start to remove the withered parts?

12. DTurnerValued MemberMember

So I have a huge bush of water sprite in my tank. Mine does the and thing with roots growing from mid stem. What I have find is trim and propagate the plant from that. Or else I just trim it.

I agree if it's been less than a week your plant is definitely still just adjusting to be water parameters. This is a fast growing plant and eats up a ton of nutrients. I use the seachem line in my tank as well. Also if you want to get a bit more involved you can look into dry ferts. They are not hard to do and much cheaper especially since you have a 75 gallon tank.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Are you sure it's water wisteria? Can you get a picture? I've never had wisteria do that before, but Java fern does it when newly submersed.

14. Blk69Valued MemberMember

This plant is growing so fast I can almost watch it grow! I'm not kidding in 3 days I can have a huge 2+ shot grow out. Unbelievable. Had plant for about 3 weeks now, its almost twice as large as when I purchased.

I can believe these guys use a lot from the water column with such a fast growth. So far my well water has been keeping up.

The parts that were lighting up are now turning brown...assume they are dying. Still getting new growth so hopefully the plant will make it. Will start to cut out some of the brown. Plant is very fragile, maybe when I purchased some of the stalks got slightly bent?

15. Blk69Valued MemberMember

Plant is a Water Sprite....not Wisteria.

16. DTurnerValued MemberMember

Yeah definitely water sprite.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

17. junebugFishlore LegendMember

It may be adjusting to your water, or alternatively, it's not getting enough nutrients at the base. Maybe a few root tabs would help? Another possibility is that it was originally grown emersed and is changing to its aquatic form.

Water sprite does rather need *some* NPK to remain healthy, though.

18. Blk69Valued MemberMember

Ok a month has gone by and my water sprite is not happy. Most of the original plant has died off. I do have quite a few shoots coming of the dying parts. My one month growth is starting to turn yellow. Still getting some large new shoots growing from main plants roots (about 1 large shoot a week).

At this point I feel my low tech tank is failing. I would like add some java moss and amazon swords but concerned they would struggle to. Found a couple of plant vendors who have low tech plant starter kits (misc planting). Thinking about getting a bottle of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive to start.

Question, did I pick a bad plant to start with for my low tech planted tank? I'm a total newbe regarding planted tanks so if I need to step back and change something now is a good time.

Thinking about starting a low tech shrimp tank. My experience with live plants so far has not gone well. Want to get things straighten out with this tank before I tackle another.

19. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

NO, IT IS NOT WATER SPRITE, it is Wisteria. It has a stem with leaf whorls growing perpendicular to it, that identifies it as Wisteria. The root system is on each stem, and is usually fairly small. Water sprite has all the leaves radiating from a central base, with a single large root system at the bottom. In the narrow form, the fronds of water sprite leaves are parallel to the central part of the leaf.

Wisteria and Water sprite are frequently confused, though for the life of me I can't imagine why.

Stem plants often have the lower leaves die off because the newer growth at the top shades them and takes all the nutrients. Most have roots that start growing at the leaf junction with the stem, and you can trim off the bottom and plant the stem with the upper new growth.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  20. Blk69Valued MemberMember

Ok, trying a few more things for my low light/low tech tanks.

1) Added a air supply to my filter. Can see tiny bubbles all over my tank. Hope this helps aerate my water better and put more CO available for plants.

2) I am adding a liquid fertilizer weekly. Put in 35 mL initially and will put in 5 mL weekly. Using Flourish Complete by Seachem. Hoping my Water Sprite will stop melting and putting off new shoots.

3) Hoping some of these changes will slow down my algae growth. Probable need a algae eater to help out here. Got some Cherry Shrimp by they are total recluse's and not sure if they are doing much?

4) Added more plants to help with water filtering and fight the algae. Planning on getting more.