Not sure about Aqueon Pro heater?

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by happyfins14, Jul 27, 2015.

1. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

I'm moving out of the state and into one with 5 month winters. I'm guessing the house's temperature will be about mid 70 ish? For my planned freshwater planted 20 gallon with platies, guppies, julii cory catfish, and amano shrimp, I want to have a heater. This Aqueon Pro heater was suggested to me. I found it on Amazon right here: http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Heater...=1438054988&sr=8-1&keywords=aqueon+pro+heater

I'm not sure what wattage to get. I hear a lot of people get a 100 watt for a 20 gallon, and others use a 50 watt. I have no experience with heaters because I currently live in an extremely hot place where the temperature barely varies at all, and my betta tank stays at a consistent high 70-80 degrees.

I'm thinking I should get the 100 watt. It's adjustable, plus if it's colder than I believe I'll be all set. Also, it's a little cheaper than the 50.

But I still want a second opinion. And third and fourth and fifth or however many I get. I'd love any thoughts you guys have. Thanks!! :D

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

While a 100w heater would be sufficient in most circumstances, if the temperature is consistently in the 70s in your home, you could likely get away with a 50w. My situation is pretty extreme, but I have a 75w heater on a 29G tank and it's doing the job just fine in a house where the temperature never goes below 72.

But with a reliable heater like Aqueon Pros, I would just spring for the 100w so the temperature remains stable, instead of having 1-2 degree fluctuations throughout the day.

3. OP
    OP
    h

Thanks for the super speedy reply Hydro :) I think I'm going to go with the 100w too. I'm too scared to take risks when it comes to my little fishies

4. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

It's always better to play it safe than sorry. :) Good choice springing for the 100w.

5. OP
    OP
    h

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice