Not So Noob Questions Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TheMadScientist, Apr 21, 2018.

1. TheMadScientist

TheMadScientistValued MemberMember

So hi guys,1 year lurker.....
    So I run 2 tanks now a 30 gal and a 50
    Both 1 year cycled very few losses
    0 0 and 20 ppm on nitrates as this is my well waters natural level.......

My questions are as follows
    On my 50 I have 2 aqueon HOBs 50s 1 with a sponge on it A 1 plate under gravel with both risers running on a 40 gal air pump.... And I got a marine land 220 55 gal canister....
    1 150 watt adjustable heater and a 200 watt heater both equally set at 79
    So first ? Can I have to much filtration I cannot find a straight answer on this.....
    Im worried I am over doing it with filters and air stones for circulation and water break for oxygenation....

2nd is my aqueons are only 6 months or so old but are some of the noisiest things I have ever heard I clean them once a month and lubricate the rubber pieces in them and it quiets them down for a bit....

Stocking i have 1 angel 10 zebra dannys 3 cory cats
    3 adult bristlenose plecos
    And they just had babies so i got roughly 15 baby plecos
    I am not a math wizard so i dont quite understand the 1 inch per gallon.....
    I am looking to rehome mos of the babies....
    Guys I am a car mechanic by day and a cell phone android modder by night I am a forum moderator on XDA developers So I am kinda new to the fish hobby 1 year in now I preform 25% water changes every saturday and I preform 1 month 50 % changes and heavy cleanings and have washed the undergravels every 2.5 months....

So my 3rd ? is basically are these considered good keeping habits? As Im in it for the health of all my beautiful fish....Well adept in the nitro cycle check my params once a week with my api master kit
    20180421_151517.jpg20180421_151534.jpg20180421_151559.jpg

2. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

I don't think there is such a thing as too much filtration. I suppose there can be too much water movement if the fish are constantly having to fight it. But when it comes to actual filtration, nope, never too much.

It sounds like you have a solid system for keeping both your tanks clean and healthy. Personally I wouldn't change any of it.

As to the inch per gallon rule....throw it out the window and just keep an eye on your perimeters. If you find that your nitrates are rising too much during the week you can assume that you may be a bit over stocked.

as always, just my humble opinion.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  3. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Greetings and welcome to Fishlore :)

I can not help with Aqueon I only use Marineland.
    I shoot for 10x the water column in GPH. I run canisters and HOB together on all our aquariums. Except the QT, that has 1 Penguin 100.

4. OP
    OP
    TheMadScientist

So I would assume since i run the 1 marine land canister and 2 50 hob plus undergravel the hobs have sponges That my flow rate and filtration is more than enough The aqueons are just so horribly loud that it annoys me I can only imagine the noises the fish are hearing and or feeling

Thank you
    In my 50 they seem quite contnent with the flow even the angell I also forgot i have a betta in it and he seems pretty content too always out being a showmanfish
    my 30 gal is in my opin over stocked i have a brisle nose a baby bristle 4 dannys 3 tetras and my wife bought a shubunkin goldfish wich I hope can go outside in my 250 gallon pond setup but it is just so cold here all the time in vermont.... but again I monitor and change and clean weekly with medium to light feeding it has the stock aqueon 30 gal filter and under grav with both risers running on a 40 gal air pump

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  5. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I will probably get yelled at but this is my feeling towards filtration. As long as you can hold 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites your filtration is adequate, anything beyond that is a waste of money and electric. On my 55's i run a single aquaclear 70 the only time i moved over my 110 was when it was severely overstocked with convicts.

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

No one should yell at you :) all opinions should be heard.

7. OP
    OP
    TheMadScientist

Thank both of you.
    I have never since start even seen ammonia or nitrite spikes. I have had what seems like several mini cycles. But again the aqueons start overflowing about every 4 or 5 days so I got them on a reversed cycle of completely washing them. But never together plus sponges and undergrav maintain bacteria it seems. So I'm sure I'm wasting money on filters and electric. But I have managed to lose only 3 fish in my 50. All within the second month fishless cycled I swear it was a lfs bad fish more than me like I mentioned my corys laid eggs but where snatched up quick and my b places laid eggs and I have many babies growing nicely. I'm more or less tired of lurking and wondering unknown things to me. And wanted to be part of the community as I am a moderator on another website and it takes loads of time

8. pugletfanWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!! For hob filters I recommend AquaClear. I just added a AquaClear 50 to my 29 gallon aquarium. It is very quiet! (I also have a Marineland Penguin 330 on this tank). For the AquaClear I baffled the waterfall outflow with a piece of filter sponge.

28a7c1b081708ab767990a1aace53609.jpg

I figure the sponge will baffle the flow so the tank has some calm areas, and also give extra places for beneficial bacteria to grow.

9. OP
    OP
    TheMadScientist

My prob with the aqueons quiet flows is the horrible hum in the motors the lids vibrate and make noise for a month never paid mind to it thought it was my 2 air pumps but then I started shutting pumps off at feedings and im like wow those are loud
    Being a man of mechanical history I lubricate the motors and rubbers in them with a dab of Vaseline Probably shouldn't But I never see oil sicks and run a home made skimmer as well made from a 10 gallon aqauir filter pump

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice