Not-so Great News

Zoreta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dropsy Issues

Following his eyes injury, Elton seemed to be returning to 'somewhat' normal behavior- but now it's become apparent that, during the recovery, dropsy took hold, and it's only recently started to show. I have him on antibiotics and an antifungal for a little bit that's appeared on the edge of his fins- but he's gotten sluggish, and his scales are beginning to pinecone. He's eating fine, but sleeps at the surface for extended periods. I'm not hoping for him to survive this- I've had him a year and three months now, and he's gone through a lot in that span, and this may be the last straw.

I've been reading into epsom salt baths, does anyone have any advice about what concentration and for how long he should be put in the bath?

Last edited:

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Zoreta,

I'm so sorry for your lil' Elton. I know it's going to be hard but just keep doing what you can for him.

Gonna help you bump up this thread so that other members who can answer your question will swing by soon. Best of luck!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm sorry, but if it is dropsy, from experience, he will not make it once pineconed... Keep him comfortable until he lets go, and please consider euthanasia if he gets worse. My fish got very distressed at the end, swimming into things, not able to steady himself, I wish I had euthanised him as he was not a happy boy.

He may have a few days or a few weeks, but please keep him comfortable and let him enjoy the time he has left with you, good luck.

Zoreta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've had one fish get dropsy before, and the poor thing took over a month- I didn't know how to euthanize then. If he doesn't get any better, I'll consider it. It's just upsetting that, after battling to keep the little guy alive for so long, I may lose him to something I can't fight.

Jequila

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I put just under a teaspoon of epsom salts in a liter of tank water and left him in for half an hour. He didn't get stressed and it did seem to help a little. I did it twice a day, but I hear three times is fine too.
I got to mine too late, but I hope you've caught yours early enough

Zoreta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'll do an epsom bath after school- he is sleeping more and more now, though; I'm afraid it may be too late.

Zoreta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's over- Elton passed while I was at school today. It was a valiant fight, but it was against an enemy we could not defeat. He is now buried with the other fish- his tank will be completely emptied to start fresh again, in case there is something in the water that made him vulnerable.

Zoreta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
-hugs- Thanks guys. He was a great fish- got sick a bit more often than most, but full of personality. He'll be dearly missed; thanks for the kind words.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom