Not My Trees!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nikm128, May 20, 2019.

1. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Today is a sad day in tree land, thanks to some nice, end of May snow my two oldest trees lost some big branches.

I just went out for about 15 minutes swaying the other branches with a broom so they wouldn't also snap under the weight. Some of them were easily 30-40 pounds heavier than they should be...

Attached Files:

2. Geoff Well Known Member Member

Yikes! That’s crazy weather. Watch it be 80° tomorrow lol.

3. fa4960 Valued Member Member

That sucks...

Here are my trees waiting for rainy season to start any day now.....and me waiting to save some electricity by not using the sprinkler system. The big gap in the corner use to hold a tall tree but it went down ½ year ago due to a mild storm and not enough root system.

4. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Knowing this place it will be! It's always a mild winter, and a spring that can't decide between freezing and snowy, or steady 70's.
    That smaller tree we always kinda knew it was a matter of time, but the pine? They're so sturdy, and that tree is taller than the house so obviously quite old. It was also a shock that it split at the trunk instead of, you know, the middle where it's weaker. We were going to plant some 8' maples soon, but now I'm not sure that's the best idea.

5. fa4960 Valued Member Member

Melting snow is extremely heavy, you sometimes see roofs collapse also if not build for it..... Still a shame though, roofs are easy to bring back but not so with old beautiful trees.

6. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, it's one of the rare occasions when we get that really good stuff. Wet, thick, heavy, sticks; it's great for getting school closed or delayed, but it looks like it was too heavy this time.

7. fa4960 Valued Member Member

Where are you located to get this kind of snow towards end of May?

8. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Lol, we usually don't get anymore snow by May, maybe the odd flurries here sometimes but that's it. I'm in Colorado

9. fa4960 Valued Member Member

So that's 13 hours behind me here in Bangkok. Not to mention the completely different climate we live in... I am supposed to have got lots of rain since beginning of April but still dry with only a few minor showers. The world climate is not right and it is not getting any better.....

10. coralbandit Fishlore VIP Member

I have had 10 Fridays in a row of measurable precip and it has rained almost every day here for last 50 days .Maybe a total of 5-7 days without some rain in that 50 !
    You should call Mother Nature, I think we got your weather here in NY !

The snow is crazy !

11. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Well as I was going to bed last night I heard more crackling outside my window, time to go see what's broken now....
    We could really use that rain, it's been so dry here. I would worry about a summer wildfire, but I think it would just get snowed on if one started and we'd be fine lol

12. ETNsilverstar Well Known Member Member

Sounds like things around here. I went to Chicago for the weekend and it was 80*, and when I came home to Michigan, there was a frost warning for my area. Apparently they got snow up north somewhere though. Even for MI's crazy weather, this is on the more unusual side. We keep going back and forth between trying to get hot and freezing. And lots of rain. The other day it was hardly above freezing in the morning and close to 80 in the afternoon. Leave in a winter coat and come home with nothing...

13. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

One more branch snapped on the pine, two off the the other one. One just broke, the second just snapped clean off and is laying in the yard

14. Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

I was just going to ask if you were in CO. Yeah, the weight of the leaves and the weight of the snow is just too much sometimes. We have an ornamental pear that takes forever to lose its leaves and when it snows we go out there with a broom to know the snow off the leaves. Really sorry about the trees, we had to cut down all 4 of our fully grown ash trees a few years ago because of the emerald ash borer.
    I
    Lol, it was in the 40's on Monday and Tuesday with even more rain. You lucked out! I'm so sick of the rain and cold.

15. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

It's not silly to have a small attachment to trees right? I mean, I can't be the only one....

16. Thedudeiam94 Valued Member Member

Where is this? It looks nice there!

17. Thedudeiam94 Valued Member Member

I seen your page says Bangkok, Thailand! That’s awesome! My girlfriend wants to move there!

18. coralbandit Fishlore VIP Member

I am not a tree hugger but nature rules and our attempts to impersonate pale in compare ..
    Surely it is easy to become attached to tree. I have transplanted some back when my back yard had trees that today are 20-30 feet tall.
    They would not be there for me ,I am attached !.. I am grateful it is not NY that is still getting snow !
    @Thedudeiam94 Those pics of Thialand do look nice huh ?

19. fa4960 Valued Member Member

@coralbandit and @Thedudeiam94 Any fishlore member is very welcome here if you should happen to be around. Always a hot/ice coffee or a cold beer available for a fishy chat...

Yes it is nice here. I like the hot climate and will probably never relocate back to my native "cold'ish" Denmark. Language is a challenge though....

20. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Just been driving around down, seen at least 100 trees with broken or missing limbs in just a 15 minute radius of my house