Not Many Fish, That's All I Can Fit?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Lana1049, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Lana1049

Lana1049 Valued Member Member

A while ago I posted a thread about stocking ideas for a planted 20 gallon high. I got this tank for Christmas, where I put a clown pleco (with dead driftwood, of course), and 3 mollies in it. I was told that this tank was overstocked because mollies get big. Is there really no other option for fish or invertebrates to get in this tank? I wanted to get a couple swordtails, but now I'm rethinking it.

Oh, and just one more question.... Why do people always keep bettas in such small tanks?

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

First, I will rehome the 3 mollies, they need a bigger tank. You can get a school of rummynose tetras, and make sure you keep your temperature at 78-80 degrees.

Why do people keep bettas in small tanks? Because it works.

3. OP
    OP
    Lana1049

Okay, thanks again. I know this sounded a little desperate, I just wanted a little diversity in the tank :) I feel a little bad that I had these mollies in an undersized tank for 2 months. What would be the minimum tank size needed for mollies?

4. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

That actually depends on the Molly. There are several varieties. Shortfined Mollies, lyrtail, sailfin and giant sailfin are the most common. What do you have?

5. OP
    OP
    Lana1049

Not completely sure, but here are all of them (tried zooming them in so it would be clearer what kind.... The two yellows are females) Sorry if it is a little blurry, they swim so fast! 20170330_184759-1.jpg 20170330_184915-1.jpg 20170330_184918-1.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    Lana1049

I think I probably have a gold dust and black lyrtail, and I don't know about the one with circular fins.

7. aquatickeeper

The minimum of mollies is 29 gallons. They need a lot of space to swim.

8. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

Lyre tails are actually a variety of sailfin normally. As such long term a 37 is better for them in my book than a 29, plus they dive around.

The other issue is they have a much higher bio-load than most other fish, closer to a goldfish actually.

Honestly you could grow them out in a smaller tank but most people never upgrade.

I am always conflicted with mollies because the bio-load is in many ways the big issue. They are fairly dirty fish... That I freaking adore.

9. aquatickeeper

And, because of the big bioload too. So, minium of 29 gallons for mollies

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, 29 min for mollies. Same for swordtails, which you mentioned earlier.

11. Rivermonster

Rivermonster Valued Member Member

29 is recommended, but if your filter has sufficent area to hold a bb colony large enough to support the amount of fish waste then you'd get away with them in a 20 gal. Providing you keep on top of nitrates and other build ups with water changes, which you may have to do more regulary with the smaller volume option

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice