not letting her eat

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by eminence9, Dec 2, 2012.

1. e

eminence9 Valued Member Member

1 male white n 1 female gold Gourami . The male will stay at top while female at bottom behind the bushes . Male don't harass or stress her in any way . When i feed them the male will finish within 1 minute while the female is a slow eater often spitting out then again catching n eating the feed . That male will snap at the food that female spit out as soon as shes about to re-catch it .
    What should i do ? Separate them ?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

You may try feeding her a food that's smaller or easier to swallow (soft?) so she can get it in one go. You can also try dropping food in opposite sides of the tank both at once.

3. OP
    OP
    e

thnx eina for replyng.
    the problem is that the male wil mug the female even if i drop feed at oposite ends, he sense it n rushes towards her n waits when she wil spit out , hes such a pain .
    Same goes when i sunk feed to bottom . He wil not fin nip or kiss her or force her , he just wait for the right time n boom !

4. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

They need to be separated then. This is why it is advised to keep one per tank.

5. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank are they in? To successfully keep multiple three spot Gouramis together, you're going to need at least a 55 gallon tank. Male and female micings work best when the tank is much larger and there are several females. They are very bratish, as you are now seeing. Usually it's out right aggression, but it can be in other ways, like in your situation.

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The white male - is it a kissing gourami or the platinum color morph of the three spot?

7. soltarianknight

Jay raises a good point. If it is a kisser or a Giant(also possible) gourami then it has no place with a 3 spot.

8. OP
    OP
    e

idk for sure but it defo is of platinum colored 3 spot gaurami but not a giant gaurami , it is nearly of 3inches . I m a newbie so is the fish vendor.
    If they are to be seperated they can u giv me any idea to part the tank
    like what should i fit in center of tank ?
    I tried thermal paper but it bounced off ! Dont wana use wood bcz not sure what affect wil it do on water
    tank is 15 gallon .

9. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Well that's your problem right there - 15 gallon tank. That's really too small for just one of them, let alone two. Three spot gouramis are highly territorial when they grow up (5 inches) - the smallest tank I would attempt to try 2 in is a 55.

I am sure you don't want to hear this, but you ought to consider swapping them out for a smaller more peaceful species. I would try a trio of honey gouramis, if you still want gouramis. A 15 is not very big, so your choices are fairly limited.

10. FoulFishes

FoulFishes Valued Member Member

You could also swap them for a few Sparkling Gouramis, just make sure to have lots of good hiding spots!

11. soltarianknight

Agreed, just don't swap them for Dwarf gourami. If you do you can get only 1.

12. OP
    OP
    e

t hank u all guyr .
    So i invented a setup which i named as ' the bowl trap ' :eek:
    i lowered the tank water n sunk/tilt my fish bowl , the male seems to like it , he always in there . The female wil go in out regularly .
    So when the feed time comes , i straightn up the bowl with male in it ,
    so the female is out in open tank .
    The male eat feed whilst being in bowl. But the female wont eat any feed when male is in bowl .
    Why ? Whats stoping that crazy woman now ?

13. Akari_32

Probably just the presence of the male makes her uncomfortable.

14. OP
    OP
    e

she wil try to b close to him n try to go thru the bowl when hes enjoying his meal in the trap , she wont touch the feed !

15. soltarianknight

The tank is still too small and that is too much stress on the male.

16. OP
    OP
    e

thanks , so i seperated then 12 hours ago . Both are now in a 10gallon tank .
    I hav observed golden female is very shy n always at peace , she is always hiding behing bushes still but shes eating now .
    So kindly tell me which fish to get rid off ?
    I want few more fishes in my tank :( a single fish dont look good

17. Akari_32

I'd rehome both. They can reach up to 6 inches, and have serious attitude problems. Anything smaller than 40 or 50 gallons causes trouble. What other fish do you have in that tank? If you have peaceful schoolers, you should try a group of Honey Gouramis. Three of those should be fine :)

18. soltarianknight

Both fish are too BIG for anything less then 30gals, 55 if you want to keep both.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  19. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

You mean too big? XD

20. soltarianknight

=_= not my day Eienna :p. Yup. Thanks for the catch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice