Not impressed with Fluval Filters

JDWebb01

For two days I've been fighting this sporadic burst of bubbles coming from the 207 about every 10-12 seconds. I have taken it apart several times, drained it, filled it and restarted it to no avail. If I run it at restricted output flow, it doesn't happen, only when it is wide open. My feeling is the impeller blades spin way to fast for the amount of inflow causing an air pocket to form around the bladed periodically. I can find no other issue. I even siliconed all the tubing connections to make sure it wasn't sucking air. I used a food grade wax on the o-rings and gasket for a better seal. Nothing works. I can;t even get a response from Fluval about it.

What is the next best canister filter I should be looking at?

Cichlidude

Probably 4 star and above rated canisters on Amazon. Sunsun/Polar Aurora. Fluvals are extremely high profit margin canisters.

Charlie’s Dad

I would recommend Sunsun canisters. I am running 3 and have not had any issues with them.

JDWebb01

FishRFriendz

For two days I've been fighting this sporadic burst of bubbles coming from the 207 about every 10-12 seconds. I have taken it apart several times, drained it, filled it and restarted it to no avail. If I run it at restricted output flow, it doesn't happen, only when it is wide open.

I'd check the seals. Maybe there's a tiny leak that hold water but when you run it full open causes sufficient negative pressure in the canister that it sucks in tiny bubbles of air.

I'm 3 years in on a Sunsun 504B with no problems with leaking. The pump on the other hand...

JDWebb01

I'd check the seals. Maybe there's a tiny leak that hold water but when you run it full open causes sufficient negative pressure in the canister that it sucks in tiny bubbles of air.

I'm 3 years in on a Sunsun 504B with no problems with leaking. The pump on the other hand...
Been there, done that, twice now. I even used some food grade sealant wax I use in brewing to lube up the O-rings and gasket. I think the problem is it is sucking water through a smaller diameter tube before it goes into a larger diameter hose. If the impeller runs too fast, it creates it's own air pocket and spits it out, then 10 seconds later after it pushes that water out, it does it again. However, when I reduce the output flow, thereby letting the larger diameter hose stay filled, it's no problem. What irks me most, is NO response from Fluval. So...I bought a SunSun, HW 303b, supposed to be here Wednesday.

PS. I even sent an email telling Fluval they didn't have to respond, told them I bought a competitors canister filter for almost half the cost, and highly rated!

JDWebb01

OK, so my next obvious question is, since I started with Dr. Tim's One & Only bacteria, and the Fluval filter, how do I transition over to the SunSun without having to start over? I want to preserve as much of the bacteria as I can, what is the best way to go about it?

Cichlidude

OK, so my next obvious question is, since I started with Dr. Tim's One & Only bacteria, and the Fluval filter, how do I transition over to the SunSun without having to start over? I want to preserve as much of the bacteria as I can, what is the best way to go about it?
It would help if you told us what media you have now and how it is in the trays. Best to move the media over to the new canister.

kallililly1973

Take all the media from the Fluval and add it to the SunSun. Or run both of them side by side while the cycle is in the process. On a side note did you try to tilt the Fluval front to back and side to side to work any air bubbles out. I’ve had good luck with my 206-406 getting air out that way. Also I second the SunSun I recently got a 302b for my 29 and it’s been going well. The other thing I like and I think you will like is the solid hoses will accept your lily pipe much easier than the perforated Fluval hoses. Good luck

JDWebb01

It would help if you told us what media you have now and how it is in the trays. Best to move the media over to the new canister.
I used the Fluval brand ceramic that came with the unit, I also bought more because I removed the charcoal bag and replaced it with the same amount that was in the other tray.

Take all the media from the Fluval and add it to the SunSun. Or run both of them side by side while the cycle is in the process. On a side note did you try to tilt the Fluval front to back and side to side to work any air bubbles out. I’ve had good luck with my 206-406 getting air out that way. Also I second the SunSun I recently got a 302b for my 29 and it’s been going well. The other thing I like and I think you will like is the solid hoses will accept your lily pipe much easier than the perforated Fluval hoses. Good luck

Yes, I did everything I knew of to do with no results. At full throttle, it spit out small bubbles about every 10 seconds. I reduced the output flow using the lever, and it stopped.

Cichlidude

I used the Fluval brand ceramic that came with the unit, I also bought more because I removed the charcoal bag and replaced it with the same amount that was in the other tray.
OK, great. Just move it all over at once. Might want to move any foam or floss over also if you have it.

JDWebb01

OK, great. Just move it all over at once. Might want to move any foam or floss over also if you have it.
I'd have to cut the foam to fit, but it might work.

Cichlidude

I'd have to cut the foam to fit, but it might work.
That's OK. You'll remove that foam in 2-3 weeks anyway.

JDWebb01

That's OK. You'll remove that foam in 2-3 weeks anyway.
I thought it was good to hang on to the bacteria, or does that only apply to the ceramic media?

Cichlidude

I thought it was good to hang on to the bacteria, or does that only apply to the ceramic media?
Well yes. Keep your ceramic and old sponge foam. If you want just keep in in there until you clean it for the first time. Then either cut your new foam pads, course, medium and fine pads to go on the bottom first tray. Then fill the top two tray with your ceramic of better yet, Matrix, Biohome or Marine Pure Media. You can order new Sunsun foam pads on Amazon.

JDWebb01

I don't like to skimp on quality, what is the best bio media I should be using? Or does it matter? I have not come across any articles regarding that yet.

Cichlidude

You will get varying opinions, but the above Matrix, Biohome or Marine Pure Media have the highest surface area. You can search this forum for more info.

Morpheus1967

Any issues with one called Penn Plax?
I have two of their Cascade 1500's on my 125. Been running since March. No issues so far.

JDWebb01

I ordered 2 lbs of the Biohome, I just hate the thought of starting over though, maybe I will run them both side by side for a few weeks, but won't that significantly slow down the process?

Cichlidude

Side by side is fine. Don't get to worried about bacteria. It's tough and fast to replicate.

JDWebb01

I took some readings this morning,
pH - 6.3
Ammonia - 3.5
Nitrite - .050

I guess I'm in the ball park as far as the cycle goes...4 days into it.

Merryn O'Shea

I recommend any All Pond Solution filter, they are fab!

Cichlidude

I recommend any All Pond Solution filter, they are fab!
^^^^^
Thunderbirds are GO!

DecoyCat

JDWebb01 Hi, can I ask what test kit you are using because your ammonia and nitrite readings are strange to me?
As for your original canister filter, how long had it been running before you ran into problems? Or was it like that from the start?
You have to have the trays in the right order for your type of canister, because some canisters flow from top to bottom and some from bottom to top... Did you set the new one up correctly?

JDWebb01

New question, I have the SunSun filter, it obviously holds much more water than the Fluval meaning I will have to add water to the aquarium to get it started. Will be running both side by side until I can get a sufficient build up of bacteria going in the SunSun (new brand of bio media). Is it safe to add untreated tap water or should I use my Prime to de-chlorinate it first? It may impact the ammonia in the tank.

Cichlidude

Add about 8-10 drops of Prime inside the Sunsun. Fill it with water and now connect to your tank and go for it! Enjoy.

Truckjohn

For two days I've been fighting this sporadic burst of bubbles coming from the 207 about every 10-12 seconds. I have taken it apart several times, drained it, filled it and restarted it to no avail. If I run it at restricted output flow, it doesn't happen, only when it is wide open. My feeling is the impeller blades spin way to fast for the amount of inflow causing an air pocket to form around the bladed periodically. I can find no other issue. I even siliconed all the tubing connections to make sure it wasn't sucking air. I used a food grade wax on the o-rings and gasket for a better seal. Nothing works. I can;t even get a response from Fluval about it.

Please give us some details about your specific setup including pix. Please include SPECIFIC pipe/tube sizes on both the input and the output.

Also - when you say "Restricted output flow" - I am assuming you are putting some sort of baffle onto the OUTPUT pipe that goes back to the tank.

This behavior + bubbles and your suspicion of impeller cavitation tells me there is a problem on the suction end of the system....

For example - your piping from the tank to the pump may be too small.... Inlet piping is usually always larger than discharge piping.

Another possibility is that you have the pump too high and It doesn't have enough suction head above it.

JDWebb01

Please give us some details about your specific setup including pix. Please include SPECIFIC pipe/tube sizes on both the input and the output.

Also - when you say "Restricted output flow" - I am assuming you are putting some sort of baffle onto the OUTPUT pipe that goes back to the tank.

This behavior + bubbles and your suspicion of impeller cavitation tells me there is a problem on the suction end of the system....

For example - your piping from the tank to the pump may be too small.... Inlet piping is usually always larger than discharge piping.

Another possibility is that you have the pump too high and It doesn't have enough suction head above it.

Also - when you say "Restricted output flow" - I am assuming you are putting some sort of baffle onto the OUTPUT pipe that goes back to the tank. Actually, no. This is a Fluval 207, there is a lever on the manifold that lets you restrict the output flow.

For example - your piping from the tank to the pump may be too small.... Inlet piping is usually always larger than discharge piping. This is a Fluval 207, the hose is the same diameter for both. You have to cut it in half to have your inflow and outflow. All the hard plastic tubing is the exact same diameter.

I think the impeller just spins too fast for the amount of water being put through it. It doesn't to it continuously, only about every 10-12 seconds.

JDWebb01

So, after successfully hooking up the SunSun and getting it operating, no burst of air bubbles for several hours now. I will leave both running for a couple months as we work through the cycle, need to concentrate on water parameters and get a good bacteria load started.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jpm995
Replies
Views
Josie12012
Replies
Views
Drewbacca
Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies
Views
yukoandk

Did You Know...

New tank setups go through a nitrogen cycle than can be very harmful for your livestock. Learn more about this important cycle here:
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom