Not happy with how my tank looks. How ugly is it?

bluesky2111

I just Suck at aquascaping. No matter how much I invest time and effort in, I'm still not happy with how it looks. This is my only tank, a 29gal low tech. Does it look too ugly? How do improve it?

20200921_200041.jpg

20200921_193105.jpg

20200825_153537.jpg

20200825_153835.jpg

20200807_162702.jpg

smee82

Looks a little dark to me also maybe add a sword or the like in the back right corner.

Upvote 0

bluesky2111

Looks a little dark to me also maybe add a sword or the like in the back right corner.

Probably because of the camera. Thr Kessil was at full brightness...

Upvote 0

KartoKartofel

Looks much better than anything I would ever make. lol.

In my opinion, I would put some sort of bushy plant with big leaves in the background to make it look for overgrown.

Upvote 0

Utar

What do you mean by ugly, if that is the case then mine looks like road kill.

The only thing I would do is find another home for that huge Angel fish, that tank is to small for it.

Upvote 0

lucky123

I think it looks totally fine! In fact, I really like it! Maybe that’s just because I’m bad at aquascaping also, so anything is a step up from mine! In all seriousness, I think it looks great! Often when people start excessively changing, adding, removing, and repositioning a lot, it ends up worse! If I were you, I wouldn’t change a thing but that’s just my opinion! Post updates if you do decide to change it! Good luck!

Upvote 0

bluesky2111

The only thing I would do is find another home for that huge Angel fish, that tank is to small for it.

Yeah he definitely needs a new home. He was in a 75gal until it leaked. This guy is 6 years old and can survive a nuclear bomb.

KartoKartofel Utar lucky123

Thanks everyone . Can I see your tanks for inspiration? I'm pretty sure they all are more beautiful than mine lol

Upvote 0

Kathylee

I think it looks great! Especially the plants. But I know the feeling of putting in all that work, planning, shopping, researching, buying, then placing items in the tank & bam 3 days later looking at it & being dissatisfied lol.

Upvote 0

KartoKartofel

KartoKartofel Utar lucky123

Thanks everyone . Can I see your tanks for inspiration? I'm pretty sure they all are more beautiful than mine lol
I'll send some pics tomorrow, It's pretty late today and you wouldn't see a thing.

Also btw, what size tank is this?

Upvote 0

bluesky2111

Also btw, what size tank is this?

It's a 29 gallon Aqueon. Every inhabitant in there was from my 75gal but it broke and I was broke too, so here I am with a 29gal.

Upvote 0

KartoKartofel

Welp that's unfortunate

Upvote 0

Ryz

I'm offended by your lack of confidence in your skills. Maybe your post was directed towards professional aqua-scapers? IF I could make my tanks anywhere close to what you've done, I'd feel extremely accomplished, good job on the tank, and please don't be so critical on yourself, makes me look bad >_< hahaha
Peace

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

That tank is beautiful you certainly cant deny your talent for growing plants, my tank is overrun with algae 5 days into cycling lolol

Upvote 0

Roman96

You have to be joking, it looks amazing. I've never seen such a good looking 29 gallon before.

Upvote 0

ghostdawg

Yes, it looks great compared to mine...I use fake plants. I'm not ready for real ones!

driftwoodtank.jpg

Upvote 0

MySquishy

I think it looks awesome!

Upvote 0

Roman96

I'm serious btw. It looks really good, better than my 29 gallon.

Upvote 0

bluesky2111

Yes, it looks great compared to mine...I use fake plants. I'm not ready for real ones!

driftwoodtank.jpg

That tank looks nice, especially the driftwood piece and substrate. I think it would be awesome if you put live plants in. Will look much better than mine!

I'm offended by your lack of confidence in your skills. Maybe your post was directed towards professional aqua-scapers? IF I could make my tanks anywhere close to what you've done, I'd feel extremely accomplished, good job on the tank, and please don't be so critical on yourself, makes me look bad >_< hahaha
Peace

I've seen a lot of better looking tanks done by newbies, so that's why I felt bad about mine. If you head over the planted tank forum you will see (

Upvote 0

bluesky2111

I'm serious btw. It looks really good, better than my 29 gallon.

Thank you, ignore my previous reaction I just thought I didn't deserve your praise haha.

Upvote 0

Gudgie

Your tank looks fantastic to me! I wish my plants were that lush!

Upvote 0

ruthgutman

The tank looks great. The only thing I would say is the angelfish is very lonely along and you don't have space to get more so I would move it to another tank and get some other fish to help with adding some color. Also if you have very good lighting get a red plant to go in there. For the fish I would recommend some platys or guppies.

Upvote 0

MacZ

The tank itself is done great, but I'd think about rehoming half the stocking. Do I see that correctly, only one fish of each species? And 3 different species of dwarf cichlids? That's an unfortunate combination.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

It looks good to me. Relax and enjoy it.

Upvote 0

bluesky2111

The tank itself is done great, but I'd think about rehoming half the stocking. Do I see that correctly, only one fish of each species? And 3 different species of dwarf cichlids? That's an unfortunate combination.

Thank you. That's all correct. My stocking is horrible and I'm still in the process of rehoming them. It's a hard decision because I've had the Angel for 6 years too.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Thank you. That's all correct. My stocking is horrible and I'm still in the process of rehoming them. It's a hard decision because I've had the Angel for 6 years too.

As it's hard to reintegrate a fully grown angel to a new tank/group, I recommend something I usually don't: Keep it, give away all the others except the cory and give that cory a group of 6-7 individuals and be done with stocking.

Upvote 0

KartoKartofel

Sep21.jpg
As promised, here's a pic of my aquarium.

EDIT: I hate it that my computer compressed the living heck out of my image. Forgive for the poor quality.

EDIT #2: I fixed it. It should look better now.

Attachments

• September21.jpg
    September21.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 0

KartoKartofel

Also, btw, what are those bushy plants you have in the right corner?

Upvote 0

bluesky2111

Sep21.jpg
As promised, here's a pic of my aquarium.

EDIT: I hate it that my computer compressed the living heck out of my image. Forgive for the poor quality.

EDIT #2: I fixed it. It should look better now.

Your tank looks very natural and the plants look healthy to me, the only problem I see is the layout. If you can move things around and put tall plants in the back it will look much better.. Yours doesn't even have algae problem like mine!. I'm no expert but this is just my opinion

Upvote 0

bluesky2111

Also, btw, what are those bushy plants you have in the right corner?

They are java fern trident. Good looking plant for sure

Upvote 0

Cheesecake

I just Suck at aquascaping. No matter how much I invest time and effort in, I'm still not happy with how it looks. This is my only tank, a 29gal low tech. Does it look too ugly? How do improve it?

20200921_200041.jpg

20200921_193105.jpg

20200825_153537.jpg

20200825_153835.jpg

20200807_162702.jpg

Looks fabulous. I wish my tank looked half as good.

Upvote 0

Ryz

I've seen a lot of better looking tanks done by newbies, so that's why I felt bad about mine. If you head over the planted tank forum you will see (

Bluesky, I feel you, folks do crazy things with their aquascaping, some pretty amazing stuff. But I've always wrote it off as something to master, many different niches of ecosystem science. But coming from a commoner fish keeper, low tech everything, something like what you've created is quite amazing. I see you, your tank(IMO) is the bomb, and I hope to one day have my tanks like yours. I've had multiple established tanks for over a year now, and though I've had plants(gathered from local waterways), they never came together in a way you've managed your tank. So no disrespect, on the contrary, I was hoping to encourage your ability to see your tank for what it is, quite an accomplishment ^_^
One Love & Respect

Upvote 0

JamieLu

Your delusional. Ur tank is stunning!

Upvote 0

Koneko

I think your tank looks fine.

Upvote 0

Snailerator

20200921_200041.jpg

20200921_193105.jpg

20200825_153537.jpg

20200825_153835.jpg

20200807_162702.jpg
Ok so first off, it srsly looks cool rn. But, its clear you're not happy so I think i have some advice that I've learned. I think you have a serious lack of hardscape. (rocks, wood) The hardscape I feel like is more important than the plants and can lead your eye a lot easier than plants will. Also, you kinda just have plants everywhere. They is no focal points, or anything. Research triangle, convex, style aquariums. Check out the Green Aqua youtube channel to learn more about aquascaping.

Upvote 0

bluesky2111

Ok so first off, it srsly looks cool rn. But, its clear you're not happy so I think i have some advice that I've learned. I think you have a serious lack of hardscape. (rocks, wood) The hardscape I feel like is more important than the plants and can lead your eye a lot easier than plants will. Also, you kinda just have plants everywhere. They is no focal points, or anything. Research triangle, convex, style aquariums. Check out the Green Aqua youtube channel to learn more about aquascaping.

That's a good point, thank you. I didn't realize or pay attention much about hardscape until now. I'll get some more driftwood and go from there.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I can’t tell if your just fishing for compliments, because this tank looks really good to be honest

Upvote 0

bluesky2111

I can’t tell if your just fishing for compliments, because this tank looks really good to be honest

No seriously I wasn't expecting anyone to say my tank looks good at all. Thank you for the compliment...

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dennis57
  • Question
Replies
Views
InkyTulips
Replies
Views
2fishinabowl