Not Going To Qt (i Know. Bad Idea.)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by wapooshe, Apr 20, 2017.

1. wapoosheValued MemberMember

So i decided that since I don't really have the supplies at the moment to QT my fish nor the patience to wait 6 weeks. I was going to just introduce my fish directly into my community tank. Yeah, I know that chances are that i'm going to end up with a tank of dead fish, but I decided to learn the lesson like everyone else or get lucky and have a thriving tank. My question is what are ways that I can reduce my chances of having any sick fish in my tank besides a QT.

2. vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

Buy from a store that cares for their fish, and buy fish that have been there for several weeks already (so no sickness has manifested itself at the store in that time).

3. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Or buy from a local breeder or at a local club, from a local breeder people trust.

4. wapoosheValued MemberMember

would you say a LFS is better than a Petco or a Petsmart?

5. BuddyDWell Known MemberMember

Yes

6. wapoosheValued MemberMember

how would i find a breeder or a club? i just searched up "local fish breeder near me" and i results for a market that sells fish as human food. :p

7. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

In my experience yes. However there are some good Petco and Petsmarts out there. But it is one where the people get to know you and you can talk about different fish and ideas. And the discuss which of their fish they like and are healthiest. Pick from those.

Look up clubs. What state / province / country are you in?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

I, myself do not quarantine fish :) however the only way to reduce the chances is careful observation. If you don't quarantine your gonna have to have more patience when choosing fish from the store. Some of the most obvious signs to look for are:
    • dead fish in the tank
    • sick fish in the tank(1/2 dead, fungus, gashes)
    • bad water quality
    • dead or sick fish in other tanks(although this doesn't always have to be taken in to account)
    Then you have other harder signs such as behavior. Knowing what a fish normal behavior is very important. If something is off I suggest not buying that fish or wait a week later. I have not had any dead or sick fish from the pet store or worst having a disease spread through my tank. I spend at least 5 minutes staring at the tank in which I am buying from. As mentioned earlier, if there is a sick fish or any bad signs I will return the next week or month.

Remember you don't always have to buy all your fish within a month. Some people take a whole year to fully stock or to complete their stocking plan. Of course this method is not a 100% proof way compared to QT but it will increase your chance of getting a healthy fish.

9. wapoosheValued MemberMember

Im in New York, Long Island

10. PunkinWell Known MemberMember

It depends. They run the gamut. I would not buy from my local Petcos, but others may be great. I have 2 Lfs near me. One I buy from , one I wish I could buy from because they have so many interesting things, but the care of their tanks seemed to go downhill. It's really hard to say. Each individual store is different. Good luck. :)

11. vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

One of my markers for a good fish store is, if there are tanks with sick fish (which is inevitable), they should be marked as quarantined/in treatment and not for sale. If you're seeing sick and dead fish in the tanks, and no indication that anything is being done about it, that's a problem.

As for breeders, check AquaBid. But you will likely be paying shipping, unless you get lucky and find a local breeder on there!

12. wapoosheValued MemberMember

thanks :) i'll make sure to do a google on the behavior of all the fish i plan to stock before i buy!

13. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

No, there are some LFS that are just like the big chain pet store and some are even worst. When it comes to big chain pet stores like Petco and Petsmart you can't judge them by the "rumors" or the bad things people say about them. They are not all similar. The 2 Petco's near me are fantastic. Water quality is always good, and the bigger store near me has a very educated guy who works the aquatics. He owns a couple of tanks himself!

You actually have to go to the stores and make your own opinions about them. Some Petcos and Petsmarts are way better than some LFS, it all depends on the manager and employees of the store.

14. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Just some quick searches.

Good luck!

15. CarrieFisherWell Known MemberMember

I highly recommend picking up a big bottle of SeaChem's ParaGuard, just to have on hand in case ich or something rears its ugly head.
    It may stain anything rubber or really porous in your tank a blueish color, but its [arguably] safe enough to use as a preventative in your tank once you add the fish.
    Like a 2 week "just to be on the safe side" treatment course, beginning right away.
    Or, its just a good product to have on hand, and use it only if you actually see something that concerns you.

16. BettanewbWell Known MemberMember

Also talking to the people that work there. The store I go to has 1 man that solely just performs maintance on the tanks we're on a first name basis now ;) they run individual sponge filters on all of their display tanks so he's usually around doing water changes. But you will definitely gain insight on their practices by talking to the employees.

17. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

Something @Al913 touched on...

Sick/dead fish in other tanks.
    Even if the tank your prospective fish is in seems healthy, it's best to view all tanks. That tank part way along with sick fish in... is it on the same water supply so potential disease is spreading? If it's isolated now, was it isolated because they saw disease, meaning infected water could already be in the system, or is it always isolated?

I don't qt my fish, but I know my lfs is legit, I know they qt fish, and I've never had a problem, but, building up a rapport with any supplier tanks time and initial risk.

18. wapoosheValued MemberMember

Thanks,ill make sure to pick up a bottle. By the way, if I used it on already healthy fish would it hurt them? If not I'll probably medicate every time i get new fish.

19. HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

If you currently have no fish in your main tank you don't need to quarantine.
    A 2 minute dip in a 1 gallon bowl is enough. Dips usually contain a quick external dewormer such as Malachite green and an anti fungal dip such as methylene blue.

20. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

You can use Seachem Paragaurd as the dip med as well.