NOt finrot or columnaris I think

1. Tuufy Member Member

two photos attached of redfin tetra dont think it is columnaris.

Water is 100% changed now since yesterday and treated with prime.

I have treated with marycn not taken out filter media as instructions say to filter as normal......................

ANy ideas?

I first treated with maroxyl as I thought it was fungus..........................but it didnt go away, it slowed it down stopped its progress but since I did final treatment friday am the spot of grow at the base of his tail has enlarged quite a bit...........................

Attached Files:

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:confused: If the treatment worked and the ailment receded and you stopped and it got worse, maybe you should repeat the course of treatment. It is really hard to tell from your photo what the issue is, although, I know it is hard to get in that close to take an enlarged photo. Keep up with the water changes too, that will certainly help. Someone a little more knowledgeable should come along soon. Wendy

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Poor girl! Hmm... In other cases, I'd say add some salt until you find something else to try, but Tetras don't appreciate salt very much. I'm not sure what else to try, as the pics are kind blurry, and its hard to say what it could be.

4. greenbeanette Member Member

If it is columnaris, you'd need to treat with maracyn 2, not 1 since it is a negative gram bacteria. You could also try maracyn plus which attacks both positive and negative gram bacteria.

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

You know Tetra came out with a product called Lifeguard which is an all in one treatment. You don't have to guess what the ailment is, it covers a broad spectrum of problems. I tried it with ich and had luck with it. There Safe Start product is so good and they have such a good reputation you might want to Google that and try some.

6. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Since you dosed with Maracyn, you can also dose Maracyn-two. They can be used together.

7. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Other than adding Myracin 2, I would be very cautious about mixing meds. Most do not blend well and can cause a toxic soup that is deadly.

I suggest trying a Hydrogen Peroxide bath once you have completed any med course you may have begun. Also, adding garlic to fish foods can help to boost the immune system.

8. Tuufy Member Member

I am going to make up a garlic "stew" that I have used before with some success, take him out and let him have a garlic bath in it for a while, that should not interfere with the marycyn 1 or 2 should it? Today today he has another sore on the side of his abdomen, the pic I posted was the best I could get with my camera although I am going to try again coz you never know, thanks for all those that got back to me, much appreciated..............

Also the maroxy that I was using, well this thing on his tail seemed to disappear the first time I used it, but this second time, it didnt seem to make it go smaller like the first time and since stopping it, the growth is bigger and now there is one on his torso...................1 dose of marycyn doesnt seem to have done anything.................should I continue with it????

Actually I have just now dosed again, but this time I have taken the carbon filter out incase it is extracting the medication from the water..................now to steep a whole garlic in hot water to make the garlic elixir for the bath..........

9. Tuufy Member Member

Quick update, nothing has grown bigger which is good, put a tetra in the hopsital tank late last night as he was looking as if he may have velvet????????????????is it possible to have 2 different things going on in the tank at the same time???

10. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, secondary infections is common.

I've never experienced Velvet, I just know it looks like gold dust on the fish.

11. Tuufy Member Member

Att are a couple more trys at a photo, any ideas??????? Have bought marycyn2 today to treat with the marycyn as per earlier suggestion (also got a thundershirt for my one dog as they are now available in the U.S. YAY!!!) oh and if it looks like golddust then its not velvet, maybe its just a fungus, anyhow he is in the tank also as you can see.

Attached Files:

12. Tuufy Member Member

So far so good

13. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I dislike saying velvet is gold dust, its really really not a great description. Youll be looking for a yellow to red rust color inbetween the scales of the fish and on its rays. But just be sure that you know its not just yellow, it can be other colors at times. I would continue current treatment. Keep us updated, though, marcyn2 is also good for columnaris ive seen.

14. Tuufy Member Member

Does marycyn and maracyn 2 make the water cloudy?

15. greenbeanette Member Member

It might, I know Maracyn plus definitely does.

16. Tuufy Member Member

o good to know first time I have used marycyn 2, thanks for getting back so quick :;juggle

17. Tuufy Member Member

OK so today is the last day for marycyn 2, the growth on the side of my fish in the piccy has gone, the one at the base of his tail is smaller but still there.........................so what would be the best thing to do now????????

He has been treated with maroxy, treated with marycn and now marycyn 2...........................what next?????

18. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Daily water changes to see if he continues to heal. Otherwise you may want to consider dosing both Maracyn 1 and 2 simultaneously. As they helped, maybe the combo will get you ahead of the disease progression.

19. Tuufy Member Member

I think I am going to call the mardyl hotline for some advice as it is all thier products I have used.................... oh and if someone could supply the link to the hydrogen peroxide recipe I would be grateful as I cant find it right at present.

20. Tuufy Member Member

I have today purchased API fungus cure that has 3mg of victoria green B and 30mg of Acriflavine so I am going to stop the marycyn 2, do a 50% water change on the tank and then start with this and see what happens.................................unless of course anyone has other ideas? and try for more pictures again...........................

oh and havent called mardel yet either!

I did the water change, he isnt looking that good, he looks like he is suffering from organ failure, looking a bit bloated and starting to look pine coned...........................is there any way to reverse this for him????? would the bloating show that it is an internal parasite?

9.47pm an update

So my fish is not looking very happy, he is staying at the top of the tank, the "fungus" is back with a vengeance...................still is eating ok

11.20pm

about my bedtime, walked past hospital tank and noticed that he can no longer control himself under the water flow from the filter, he is still swimming but staying at the top.............................I dont hold out much hope for him........................................

At least I did my best for the little guy, bless his little fishy heart, i really hope he does pull through though.

ANyone got any ideas?