2 years
i use the api kit to test my ph which results in 76

then i use the high ph test and it results in 74 ish. what is it? lol

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
can you provide pictures? its easier to tell with pictures but it may just be 7.6 pH. if the color is darker than labeled for 7.6, then your pH is on the high end. You should test the pH in your source water as well then compare the colors. if your source water is tap then it should be low pH

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
can you provide pictures? its easier to tell with pictures but it may just be 7.6 pH. if the color is darker than labeled for 7.6, then your pH is on the high end. You should test the pH in your source water as well then compare the colors. if your source water is tap then it should be low pH
sorry. i dont have pictures and i already washed the test out. but i dont have an issue with seeing what the numbers are its the fact that high ph is lower than my test with the low ph, 76 lph and 74 hph. should i just assume its in between? say 75? although that doesnt make too much sense since i got a 76 reading

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Nickguy5467 said:
sorry. i dont have pictures and i already washed the test out. but i dont have an issue with seeing what the numbers are its the fact that high ph is lower than my test with the low ph, 76 lph and 74 hph. should i just assume its in between? say 75? although that doesnt make too much sense since i got a 76 reading
thats not how it works lol. You can't have both 7.6 ph then a 7.4 High range pH and call it an even 7.5. You either have a high pH or low pH. You only need to test for one or the other, thats why the kit comes with 4 tubes. Again I could tell you for sure if I had pictures but if the high ph comes out low, then your ph isnt high and you dont need to be testing for high pH anymore. 7.6 ph is very common to have and is in a good range. If the color that comes out for pH doesnt match any on the chart, then you have high pH. Just check your source water first because thats normal low, if your source water pH is low then you can easily assume your tank pH is low as well.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
thats not how it works lol. You can't have both 7.6 ph then a 7.4 High range pH and call it an even 7.5. You either have a high pH or low pH. You only need to test for one or the other, thats why the kit comes with 4 tubes. Again I could tell you for sure if I had pictures but if the high ph comes out low, then your ph isnt high and you dont need to be testing for high pH anymore. 7.6 ph is very common to have and is in a good range. If the color that comes out for pH doesnt match any on the chart, then you have high pH. Just check your source water first because thats normal low, if your source water pH is low then you can easily assume your tank pH is low as well.
well from what i can tell having a reading of 7.6 on one test can be false as you might have higher that that with 7.6 being its max , but to then get a reading thats less. kinda wierd. and yes i know thats not how it works, i just didnt know what to do with those numbers. as far as i know/from what ive read that the low ph test can give you a reading of 7.6 but your ph could actually be higher than that. which you probably know. but to get a lower reading on the next test. it just has me confused and thats why im here >< but i guess its nothing to worry about since both numbers are normal. 76 is in the same color range in hph anyway

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Nickguy5467 said:
well from what i can tell having a reading of 7.6 on one test can be false as you might have higher that that with 7.6 being its max , but to then get a reading thats less. kinda wierd. and yes i know thats not how it works, i just didnt know what to do with those numbers. as far as i know/from what ive read that the low ph test can give you a reading of 7.6 but your ph could actually be higher than that. which you probably know. but to get a lower reading on the next test. it just has me confused and thats why im here >< but i guess its nothing to worry about since both numbers are normal.
Are you dropping the right amount in and inverting the tube, not shaking it. It also takes a good 5 minutes for the color to fully develop as well. Maybe test one more time and if the High range pH comes outs between 7.4 -7 again, then your pH may be on the high range then.

What fish are you housing? I know cichlids need high pH. Do you add any minerals like crushed coral or peat moss?

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Are you dropping the right amount in and inverting the tube, not shaking it. It also takes a good 5 minutes for the color to fully develop as well. Maybe test one more time and if the High range pH comes outs between 7.4 -7 again, then your pH may be on the high range then.

What fish are you housing? I know cichlids need high pH. Do you add any minerals like crushed coral or peat moss?
wait inverting is not shaking? wow ive been testing wrong my entire life ive had fish
i assumef inverting just meant shake up and down

i dont understand how that works. it ifts less than or equal to 76 on either shouldnt it be in low ph?

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nickguy5467 said:
i use the api kit to test my ph which results in 76

then i use the high ph test and it results in 74 ish. what is it? lol
I've had the exact same results, figured it was somewhere in-between is all I could think of.
Just know its 7.6 and 7.4. not 76, 74.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
qldmick said:
I've had the exact same results, figured it was somewhere in-between is all I could think of.
Just know its 7.6 and 7.4. not 76, 74.
i know that lol. i my brain and typing fingers dont communicate well sometimes

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Nickguy5467 said:
wait inverting is not shaking? wow ive been testing wrong my entire life ive had fish
i assumef inverting just meant shake up and down

i dont understand how that works. it ifts less than or equal to 76 on either shouldnt it be in low ph?
No inverting is gently moving it from side to side . You have to shake the other tubes though, especially nitrate #2 especially before testing or you'll get a wrong reading.

The 7.6 reading for high range ph and normal pH are completely different hence the different color and different bottles to test with . If the reading is maxed for normal pH and it comes out around 7.6 for High range pH, then your tank ph is in the high range. If its a light blue from normal pH , then its in the low pH range.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
No inverting is gently moving it from side to side . You have to shake the other tubes though, especially nitrate #2 especially before testing or you'll get a wrong reading.

The 7.6 reading for high range ph and normal pH are completely different hence the different color and different bottles to test with . If the reading is maxed for normal pH and it comes out around 7.6 for High range pH, then your tank ph is in the high range. If its a light blue from normal pH , then its in the low pH range.
now that i think about it . why is 7.4 or anything less than 7.6 on the hph chart anyway?

New Threads