Not Cycling In The Time I Want't It To

Discussion in 'Red Devil Cichlid' started by CaptainAquatics, Apr 2, 2018.

1. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Hello! I have been in the hobby for about 2 years now and I recently got a 29 gallon aquarium for one of my fish that was out growing his 10 gallon. I put already almost all my cycled media from the ten gallon into the 29 and it has been about a week (9 days). I kinda thought that maybe the tank would be cycled by now. Am I just being impatient or is something wrong. Here are the water parameters currently:
    PH: about 7.8 ppm
    NITRATE: 0 ppm
    NITRITE: 0 ppm
    AMMONIA: .50 ppm
    I am a little worried about that AMMONIA because yesterday it was .25 ppm! It just keeps going up! I have a live plant in there (Bought in one of those tub things so it is snail free) would that change anything? There are no fish and the filter had a bio-wheel so I floated the bio-wheel in the 10 gallon for a while hoping it would pick up some Beneficial Bacteria. Any feedback is appreciated! I just really wanna get my BP out of that 10 gallon and into his bigger home ASAP. I hate seeing him in a small tank (BTW the BP is a baby so he is about 4 inches, not to cramped). Thanks :)

2. glofishguy1234567890Valued MemberMember

What you are doing is very good, but to speed things up, I think you should actually take the fish's poop(because it is ammonia) and put it in thi new tank. Then you need to put a plant, or 2, or how ever many you want and put them in the tank. They help to get rid of ammonia and nitrates.

3. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

What if I put a rainbow shark in there? I wanna put one with my BP anyway. Would rainbow sharks fight with BP's or Lace catfish? I also wanna put lace catfish with my BP? Would lace cats, a BP, and some lace catfish get along? Also is putting a rainbow shark in there to start the cycling a good idea?

4. glofishguy1234567890Valued MemberMember

I don’t know about most of the fish you are talking about, but the rainbow shark will be peaceful for a few weeks so that it can develop a territory, than if anyone goes near it’s territory it will be 100% aggressive, even if they are going to get food that you drop in the tank.

5. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

ok, Thanks!

6. glofishguy1234567890Valued MemberMember

7. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

As for the adding some sort of fish to the tank to start the cycle do you think that is a good idea? I don't wanna lose whatever fish I put in there (I was thinking something like a clown pleco). Would that clown pleco be at risk if I did that?

8. glofishguy1234567890Valued MemberMember

Really, any fish is at risk. I would get an extremely hardy fish to put in their.

9. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

You can add Seachem Stability to help speed up a cycle, but this process can take time.