not again!!!

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the 3 corys got pulled out and went to Qt today. i had one die a couple weeks ago of a fungus. i didn't treat it in time due to my illness. but this time, i think i may have been quick enough.

but since this is the 2nd cory out of 4 to have this....i just put the 3 of them in q and am treating with pimafix.

what is going on? and these were in Q for about 2 weeks before i put them in the main tank. why are they getting this fungus?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What kind of corys are they? (I forget)

If they were fine in QT, it makes me think something's in the main tank. Either that or the move to the main tank stressed them out. But I'm just guessing on that.

-Lisa

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
they are peppered. i haven't noticed anything weird with any of the other fish. well there was a mystery rasbora death the other day. but i think it was one of the two i had gotten recently.

the cory, and that rasbora would be the only deaths since the tank's been set up....which was early march. odd. and i checked the levels yesterday, the nitrate was getting higher, so i did a water change today. i guess i'll keep an eye on everyone else.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I got Peppers in my 29g and a couple weeks ago I lost one with no signs of illness after having them for six months. Just today, another one looks like they are about to exit this world.

They have always been very shy no matter what other stock is in the tank. I'm going to buy some more plants and such and see if that gives them more peace of mind for the remaining three.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You might want to call the LFS and ask them if they've been having problems with their cories. Let them know what happened. I went through a fungal infection once and when I called the LFS, they indicated that now that entire tank was sick.

Are you doing water changes regularly? Your numbers seem good but perhaps there's something more going on. It's still a relatively new tank, even though you're cycled.

Are cories unusually susceptible to new tank syndrome? I've never had cories so don't know.

What do you have for substrate in that tank?

I am sorry for your losses.

Last edited:

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks lynda. so yeah the tank was march.....i think some corys, like panda...and the otos are much more sensitive than the rest. i might call the lfs and ask. the substrate is a small/medium river rock natural type of gravel. it seems mostly smooth to me. and no one else has gotten these puff ball things.

i do the water changes every week, and vacuum too. it's a mystery. the 2 that are left are still in Q. i thought about putting them back in the main tank to see what happens.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom