Not Again...

WrenFeenix

Member
I think my female guppy is finally going to succumb to whatever's been ailing her for the past 6 months. She's been fry-bound and bloated, but seemed to be otherwise fine after she got over the initial sickness. However, today I went to feed her and discovered that she had suddenly developed severe dropsy overnight. She looked normal yesterday, but today her whole body has pineconed and is hugely bloated.

I've started an aggressive treatment: I've had her in an epsom salt bath for nearly the entire day. The swelling has gone down minimally, but there is quite a lot of poop. I'm also feeding her gel food with doxycycline in it; normally I would use kanamycin, but I've learned that female guppies do not react well to it at all.
Well, I'll put her back with her friends for the night and see if she's still alive tomorrow morning. I think the impacted fry might've poisoned her, but I wonder why it's happening now when she's been like this for months.

Is there anything else I can do for her? I feel so defeated; I've been trying to get her better for nearly a year, and I thought I had finally succeeded (for the most part) because she hadn't had any incidents for the past few months.
 

ImJustGuessing

Member
if theres alot of poop i wanna say it might SBD (swim bladder disorder) is she swimming fine?
has she been looking stressed at all?
 
  • Thread Starter

WrenFeenix

Member
ImJustGuessing said:
if theres alot of poop i wanna say it might SBD (swim bladder disorder) is she swimming fine?
has she been looking stressed at all?
Thank you, but I'm pretty sure it's dropsy: she looks like a pinecone with fins. Her buoyancy and balance is unaffected, but she kind of waddles while swimming, probably because of the extreme bloating. There's been even more poop as the day has gone on, but she has polished off 2 cubes of medicated food.

She does look stressed and uncomfortable, poor girl. I did have her boy-toy (a Betta Buddy toy) in the bucket with her, which really helps keep her calm when I have to isolate her. She's been getting a "flushed" complexion periodically (which probably means sepsis), but she's been looking consistently less flushed towards the end of the day.

Edit: She's miraculously still alive. She doesn't look any different from yesterday; still super bloated. I'm putting her back in the bucket for today. She seems to be taking the doxycycline well; kanamycin usually constipates my female guppies quite a bit, and I suspect it caused her to retain the fry in the first place.

PSA: DON'T GIVE LIVEBEARERS KANAMYCIN!
 
  • Thread Starter

WrenFeenix

Member
She's still alive with no significant improvement. I have her in a 2tbs epsom/gal bath right now, but could I add one more tablespoon since there's no improvement?

Is there a point I should start considering euthanasia if she continues to have no improvement? She's active and has a good appetite (with plenty of poop), so she must still have some quality of life left.
 

ImJustGuessing

Member
maybe try some proper medicine not anything like a herbal medicine
 
  • Thread Starter

WrenFeenix

Member
ImJustGuessing said:
maybe try some proper medicine not anything like a herbal medicine
I'm feeding her doxycycline, which is an antibiotic.
 
  • Thread Starter

WrenFeenix

Member
I had to be at class the entire day today, and when I came back, Blacktip was twice as bloated as before. Oh... no...

...I’m going to euthanize her. She’s not getting better, and I don’t want her to suffer a slow death. Poor girl...

I fed her favorite food for dinner: green peas. I’m going to let her spend the night with her friends. I’ll feed her second favorite food tomorrow morning: spirulina flakes. She’s my favorite guppy; hearty eater, beautiful, friendly, and so cute.
 

ImJustGuessing

Member
WrenFeenix said:
I had to be at class the entire day today, and when I came back, Blacktip was twice as bloated as before. Oh... no...

...I’m going to euthanize her. She’s not getting better, and I don’t want her to suffer a slow death. Poor girl...

I fed her favorite food for dinner: green peas. I’m going to let her spend the night with her friends. I’ll feed her second favorite food tomorrow morning: spirulina flakes. She’s my favorite guppy; hearty eater, beautiful, friendly, and so cute.
sorry mate i was trying to think of what it could but i have no idea im just a nooby sorry
 
  • Thread Starter

WrenFeenix

Member
ImJustGuessing said:
sorry mate i was trying to think of what it could but i have no idea im just a nooby sorry
It's okay, I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to help. I was a noob once too, and not even the pros have the answer most of the time. Taking care of sick fish is a difficult and uphill battle. She had one of the worst cases of dropsy I've ever seen, so it was pretty hopeless to begin with, but I tried anyway.
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom