Question Not A Good Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I've just had my first major fail at ordering fish from the web, I recently bought 5 MacCulloch rainbows & 6 Praecox dwarf rainbows from a respected internet shop & arranged for them to be delivered today by Royal Mail guaranteed delivery, should have been here by 1pm, QT tank all set & ready for them. Seller posted them out yesterday afternoon so I started tracking them & the tracking never changed all day, by 4pm they hadn't arrived so I spent over an hour waiting to speak to a royal mail customer adviser & was eventually told that they wouldn't be delivered today now as there had been a 'hold up' I explained that the package contained live fish & they wouldn't survive another 24 hours & I wouldn't be in tomorrow to accept them that's why I'd arranged delivery for today, sorry nothing we can do says the advisor, what about the guaranteed delivery I replied, oh that doesn't mean it's actually 'guaranteed' just that we'll make our 'best endeavour' to do so says the advisor, so long & short of it is I won't be able to get them until Thursday, so my question is; does anybody think any of them will survive? or am I going to get a bag of dead fish :-(

Last edited:

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What will the temps be that they'll be sitting in? Could you ask a neighbor or friend to collect and sign for you? Two days really isn't that bad if they were packaged properly, but you do want to get them out as soon as you can. Granted, if you are unable to be there to get the package but a neighbor can, just keeping them in a steady temperature environment should be good enough for a short time. Just don't want them sitting in the heat or cold to long.

Also... You said they said it doesn't mean a guarantee? Well, I looked them up and I believe they are supposed to issue you a full refund...
Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed® - Business Parcels | Royal Mail Group Ltd
I wouldn't just believe what the guy on the phone said and look into it yourself.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@Platylover Nobody else available to collect as they're being delivered from Chester which is a 2 hour drive from me. Don't know what sort of environment they'll be stored in they were bagged with pure oxygen & a 24 hour heat pack & with the unseasonable warm weather we're currently experiencing they may survive, guess I'll find out tomorrow. I know they have to give a full refund but I'd rather have the live fish.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@Platylover Nobody else available to collect as they're being delivered from Chester which is a 2 hour drive from me. Don't know what sort of environment they'll be stored in they were bagged with pure oxygen & a 24 hour heat pack & with the unseasonable warm weather we're currently experiencing they may survive, guess I'll find out tomorrow. I know they have to give a full refund but I'd rather have the live fish.
Can you ask them to hold for pick up?

Yes, it’ll be awful if they don’t arrive safely... I don’t get why shipping places can be so messed up like this, I get mistakes happen and such but I’m fairly certain what he said about the guarantee was a blatant lie... Granted I’m not familiar with the legal prints of the shipping place, so perhaps they did sneak that in there.

It’s a shame regardless, hope they make it.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't get there for pick up today I'm on shift until 10pm so may as well wait for delivery tomorrow as I'll be home all day & see what happens, keeping my fingers crossed they'll survive or at least some of them.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can't get there for pick up today I'm on shift until 10pm so may as well wait for delivery tomorrow as I'll be home all day & see what happens, keeping my fingers crossed they'll survive or at least some of them.
Ah I see, that's much better than what I initially thought was going on. I thought they were still delivering today and leaving them outside in the weather. Glad that's not the case! At least they will likely be kept at a stable temp.

Hopefully the seller included some poly foam or live plants to help with any built up parameters.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Worst case scenario, does the seller cover DOA's? I would contact them and explain what's going on

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Worst case scenario, does the seller cover DOA's? I would contact them and explain what's going on
Usually sellers don’t cover late delivery DOA’s because that’s on the shipper, not the seller. Granted it is worth checking and seeing if it’s stated in their rules or not. I would check first and see what their doa policy is prior to contacting them though as you wouldn’t want them switching it on you if you ask.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ah I see, that's much better than what I initially thought was going on. I thought they were still delivering today and leaving them outside in the weather. Glad that's not the case! At least they will likely be kept at a stable temp.
Hopefully the seller included some poly foam or live plants to help with any built up parameters.
Well good old Royal Mail did deliver today & left them at my front door in a box with 'caution live fish' plastered all over it, my wife found it when she got home from work & called me to see what to do, good news is somehow all 10 fish are alive & swimming about so I got my wife to open the bags & just float them in my QT tank until I get home & can acclimate them, just hoping that they don't go belly up from stress now but they must be tough little critters to survive this far so fingers crossed.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well good old Royal Mail did deliver today & left them at my front door in a box with 'caution live fish' plastered all over it, my wife found it when she got home from work & called me to see what to do, good news is somehow all 10 fish are alive & swimming about so I got my wife to open the bags & just float them in my QT tank until I get home & can acclimate them, just hoping that they don't go belly up from stress now but they must be tough little critters to survive this far so fingers crossed.
Ugh... well at least your wife was able to get them and they arrived alive. If you have prime I’d suggest asking your wife to add a drop in each bag or to gently pour them in a bucket with some water from your aquarium (not to much, don’t want the parameters to be to to different right away). When the bag is opened it can cause there to be an ammonia spike and with it already being delivered a bit late there may be a some built up. I’d also suggest turning off lights near them so they can calm down a bit more.

Of course they very well may be fine, but if your wife is able to do this it may help ensure it. Hope it works out for you... definitely been an adventure, is it your first time ordering online?

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They're only juveniles less than half inch & 5 in each bag so won't be much waste to spike ammonia hopefully, I'll drip acclimate them when I get back before turning them loose, lights are off & the tank is in my garage so nice & dark & quiet for them. I've ordered online several times before but sender has sent them by courier (DHL & Hermes etc) so never had a problem before, when I order next time I'll ask them not to use Royal Mail!!!

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well it was a happy ending to a bad day, all 10 fish survived somehow (5 MacCulloch's & 5 Praecox) & they're now swimming & eating in my QT tank, a couple of them look a bit shell shocked but keeping my fingers crossed that they get over the stress & take their place in my main tank in a couple of weeks.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well it was a happy ending to a bad day, all 10 fish survived somehow (5 MacCulloch's & 5 Praecox) & they're now swimming & eating in my QT tank, a couple of them look a bit shell shocked but keeping my fingers crossed that they get over the stress & take their place in my main tank in a couple of weeks.
Ah good, that’s really good! Guess the seller packed them well and they’re good stock. Glad it all worked out, just keep an eye on them for a bit to make sure they settle in well.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hope it works out. I have not mail ordered fish for this reason.
They all seem quite happy now, just fed them & they all went for the food straight away & they all seem in good colour & quite energetic. I wish I didn't have to get fish mail order but we don't have a good LFS anywhere near just Pets at Home which is still an hour away & they don't stock what I look for, this is the first time I've actually had an issue so hopefully a one off & at least it worked out OK in the end.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad it worked out for you .
As one who ships it hard to leave the fish in others control .
Sounds like your Royal mail is much like our Post Office here .

Tez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Seasolider I brought the plant the same as yours on the right from a garden centre and mind died within 4 days and the chap said it would last a week...made a right mess in my tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 12 38.7%

Top Bottom