30 Gallon Tank Not a Dull Moment. F Cherry Barb Bloated

PurityNWhiteRoses

Hey, all! I just noticed yesterday one of my female cherry barbs has been hiding behind my filer input pipe, still swimming but remaining in the same spot. She's HUGE, larger than my other two females. My parameters. are Ammonia: 0 Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: 5. I'm not all that worried but I'm just curious if she could be egg bound or just bloated. Bloat is a symptom, so when she also stopped eating and hid, I got a little more worried. I will upload pictures of her once I am able. All my other fish are fine and I haven't lost any fish for a while (the last one was a 2-3 year old male high-fin platy and months before that was another bloated cherry barb.) I believe my barbs are over 3 years old. I might put her in a bowl for a little bit with salt if she isn't acting normally when I get home. I just would like a second opinion. Hopefully, she'll sort herself out and be fine when I get home from work.

A201

Really only a few possibilities, Egg bound, constipated - causing belly bulge or constipation resulting in an intestinal bacterial infection & Bloat.
There's really not much one can do other than trying an Epsom salt bath or simply let nature take its course.
Hope things get better soon.

PurityNWhiteRoses

Can I use aquarium salt instead of Epsom salt? I don't think I have any that is unscented.
I came home from work and saw that she had pinecone-d. I put her in a cup with Epsom salt for now while I re-set up my 5 gallon. My worst fear. :( Might lose her.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MuskieCatcher
Replies
Views
maggie thecat
  • Question
Replies
Views
Zeemonkey1610
Replies