Not a beginer but heres a question

GoBlue!

New Member
Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Okay I have a 5.5 gallon long tank with a dwarf flame gouramI and 2 panda cory catfish. It has a whisper powerfilter 10I and it heated with an ait stone as well. My question is could I add one more panda cory OR rather than do that move the panda's and put a pair of small albino corys in the tank?
 

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,471
Reaction score
12
Experience
5 to 10 years
5.5 gallons is not really big enough for your fish. the minimum for them is 10 gallons. I would get a bigger tank, and then you can add more fish.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
G

GoBlue!

New Member
Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
0morrokh said:
5.5 gallons is not really big enough for your fish. the minimum for them is 10 gallons. I would get a bigger tank, and then you can add more fish.
I've had this set up for a long time. About two years. None of the fish are stunted I was just wondering. I keep the water perect so they are happy
 

Shorty

Active Member
Member
Messages
115
Reaction score
0
I wouldn't personally risk anymore in there, even after 2 years adding more you could spike the levels and lose some, but then I am over-cautious sometimes.

Get another big tank anyways and have loads more that's what I would do
 

mistycheri

Active Member
Member
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
I also have a 5 gal. tank with whisper filter, heater, and air stone. I have an adult female Beta, and three assorted corys. Something for the top, something for the bottom. I do frequent water changes, every 4 or 5 days so that the water stays clean and all the readings are fine. So, where would you move the panda's to? I don't see a problem with replacing 2 panda's with 2 small albino cory's. But that's just me.
 

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,471
Reaction score
12
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, it sounds like they are getting good care. It is possible to keep fish in a 5 gallon with extra care to the water, I just would never recommend it since they really do like more room to swim around.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
G

GoBlue!

New Member
Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
CherI Ann said:
I also have a 5 gal. tank with whisper filter, heater, and air stone. I have an adult female Beta, and three assorted corys. Something for the top, something for the bottom. I do frequent water changes, every 4 or 5 days so that the water stays clean and all the readings are fine. So, where would you move the panda's to? I don't see a problem with replacing 2 panda's with 2 small albino cory's. But that's just me.
I have a 10 gallon I would be moving them too. I'ts my understanding Albino's get bigger though and I was worried about stunting. If you seam to think it's fine though I'll keep it in mind
 

mistycheri

Active Member
Member
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
I'm not sure about the albino's, I have 1 bronze, and 2 spotted corys in with my Beta.
 

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,627
Reaction score
22
Location
Nebraska
Experience
5 to 10 years
CherI Ann said:
I'm not sure about the albino's, I have 1 bronze, and 2 spotted corys in with my Beta.
The Betta tank is full or your little Betta will become aggressive. The tighter they are squeezed the more aggressive they get.

Rose
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
G

GoBlue!

New Member
Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
0morrokh said:
Well, it sounds like they are getting good care. It is possible to keep fish in a 5 gallon with extra care to the water, I just would never recommend it since they really do like more room to swim around.
Well some fish yes. I've noticed when I tried to keep something like ram cichlids, sharks, barbs they were aggressive and paces a lot but when I got small cory's, danio's, guppies, dwarf gourami, you know fish like that they never seamed to mind. See I understand what you guys are saying about a bigger than but I'm in a college dorm so I'm limited. Cory's and dwarf gouramis are two of my favorite fish so that's what I have.
CherI Ann said:
I'm not sure about the albino's, I have 1 bronze, and 2 spotted corys in with my Beta.
Okay and how long have you had your tank and how big are the corys?
 

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
22,850
Reaction score
123
Location
Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes the albinos get much bigger than the pandas will ever get. Since you need at least three corys I would not add them to the 5.5 g tank. Its not really big enough for just the albinos alone.
I have no doubt that you keep your tank sparkling clean and your fish healthy but there is more to fish keeping than keeping them alive. They need room to display their natural habits and your tank is not big enough to do that for any of your fish. Just my 2 cents worth.
Carol
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
G

GoBlue!

New Member
Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Honestly here I've kept cory's in groups of 2-5 and I've noticed no difference between a pair and a school but that's just me. I'm keeping my tank the way it is but I'll keep in mind what people have said for later down the road. I've even got small albino's like and inch and 6 tetras and the cory would school with the tetras. It was funny.
 

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,471
Reaction score
12
Experience
5 to 10 years
Butterfly said:
I have no doubt that you keep your tank sparkling clean and your fish healthy but there is more to fish keeping than keeping them alive. They need room to display their natural habits and your tank is not big enough to do that for any of your fish. Just my 2 cents worth.
Well said! I agree completely. The fish may be alive and healthy in a 5 gallon, but that doesn't mean they're as happy. In my opinion that is the most important thing.

GoBlue! said:
Well some fish yes. I've noticed when I tried to keep something like ram cichlids, sharks, barbs they were aggressive and paces a lot but when I got small cory's, danio's, guppies, dwarf gourami, you know fish like that they never seamed to mind. See I understand what you guys are saying about a bigger than but I'm in a college dorm so I'm limited. Cory's and dwarf gouramis are two of my favorite fish so that's what I have.
No winder cichlids, sharks, and barbs were aggressive if you were keeping them in small tanks! Sharks get huge, barbs are really active, and cichlids need room to stake out some territory. They all need MUCH bigger tanks than 5 gallons. With the other fish, they are more small and peaceful, and while they may not have seemed to mind they probably did, especially the Guppies and Danios.

I'm really sorry if I seem like I'm picking on you or have offended anyone. I really do not mean to. I just feel quite strongly about this topic.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
G

GoBlue!

New Member
Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Not at all I should note I was about 12 when I had those fish in that tank. Anyways My Cory's seam happy to me. They are active and eat well as does my gourami. I know and see what you mean about having more room but like I said in a College dorm there's not much room. I'm limited to fish as well as tank size. I assure you though my fish are well taken care of.
 

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,471
Reaction score
12
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, I see, that was when you were younger. I will admit I did my share of putting fish in way too small tanks when I was a kid.
That's too bad you don't have more room. At least the fish are doing well.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
G

GoBlue!

New Member
Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
0morrokh said:
Oh, I see, that was when you were younger. I will admit I did my share of putting fish in way too small tanks when I was a kid.
That's too bad you don't have more room. At least the fish are doing well.
Yep leaving it as it they should be set. I have a 10 gallon at home with a paradise fish, 6 white clouds and 2 albino corys my dad takes care of.
 

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,471
Reaction score
12
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey, the 10 gallon sounds cool! You're so lucky your dad will take care of your fish. My parents aren't going to be taking care of them when I leave...so I have to get all the fish that don't live too long. Oh well.
I can see there's no way you can get them a bigger tank...so I will admit that, while I still don't agree with keeping fish besides Bettas in 5 gallons, if you're going to a Dwarf GouramI and Cories are better choices than most tropical fish. I still think the minimum for both is 10 gallons, but they could cope better with a smaller tank than most fish.
I'm glad you're not too ticked at me for the lecture...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
G

GoBlue!

New Member
Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Not at all we all have different opinions and knowledge and they are welcome.
 

vin

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,487
Reaction score
117
Location
Connecticut, USA
Yes the albinos get much bigger than the pandas will ever get.
I'm not so sure I believe anything I read about the size of fish anymore....I recently visited Mystic Aquarium in CT. In there exhibits they had several tropical fish tanks. In one tank they had a variety of Corys and Cichlids.....Pandas and Adolfois were in this exhibit which was about 75 gallons......All of the pandas and adolfois with the exception of about 3 were AT LEAST 3 1/2" long! The BIGGEST pandas I've ever seen!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
127
Guests online
2,558
Total visitors
2,685

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom