North Window Flowering Plants?

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
HI everyone! I am looking for a blooming houseplant that would do well in my North windows - the only windows in my room. Have any suggestions? I could add a 1600 lumen, 5000k daylight bulb for 16 hrs a day if needed. Thanks!

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most flowering houseplants need a lot of light. Most houseplants in general don't flower the majority of the time regardless. One big exception is African violets. If you keep them happy they'll keep blooming regularly. They like to be root bound and don't like their leaves wet at all. I have mine in an office in bright indirect light but they get a lot of light from the flouresents as well. They come in all sorts of colors

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks! I have had bad luck with Gesneriads in general, though...

Honestly, I don't need it to flower all the time...I just need a plant that reliably blooms indoors at some point in the year.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A lot of houseplants do flower when they're really happy. Hoya's are a pretty common one to get to flower inside! Have you ever had any of those? I have almost 200 houseplants so I'm trying to think which ones flower and which don't.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
No Hoyas yet...my mother does have a Portaluca blooming inside and several of her cactI bloom regularly, but all of those are in much brighter south windows.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Joshaeus said:
No Hoyas yet...my mother does have a Portaluca blooming inside and several of her cactI bloom regularly, but all of those are in much brighter south windows.
Certain types of hoya are more well known for flowering than others, I think they all flower tho. Personally I'm not sure which ones.

JessicaSwanlake

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Have you considered cyclamen? There are plenty of varieties and colors, although you would have to find somewhere to store them dry and away from light for a few months during their dormant period. They don't need much light and mine have proved near impossible to kill.
Kalanchoes would also be an option as they need light but no direct sun (they flower longer) but you would need to store them during their dormant period.
If you want a plant you don't have to store orchid cactus are beautiful although their blooms don't last quite as long. I kept mine in a north facing window for ages and it bloomed every year.
Hoyas are great too, although I never get mine to bloom regularly/evenly (that's probably a me issue, not a plant issue though).

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
I don't mind storing a cyclamen Thanks for the suggestions!

BReefer97

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rex Begonia’s should do well! they’re a bit harder to care for but once you figure them out, it’s easy. Their flowers all look the same but there are so many different leaf variations to add even more color. They barely ever need watered (I only water when they start to droop) and do well in bright indirect sunlight. They also don’t really need fertilized more than once a growing season. You just have to have some good humidity or else the ends will turn crispy, but misting the leaves once a day seems to suffice.

The flowers are white with a yellow middle. My grow light makes it look crazy in this picture.
B22E0EF9-A0A3-4241-9B09-985A5544A250.jpeg

But I think the leaves are the best part this is a Red Kiss Rex. The one above is a Fedor.
B35A45D7-965E-4344-9A92-D2E40E5BA30F.jpeg

New Threads