North American natives

1. I

Ichthyologistinmaking Valued Member Member

Hi, I'm stocking a 10 gallon tank with North American native fish, specifically small pumpkin seed sunfish, ones which likely will not exceed 4 inches (that's the largest the lake has yielded), currently I am in possession of three, however the number is soon to be reduced to two fish as one of the fish actually belongs to a friend. I was wondering, since I have a decent filter and air stone, what other fish might I be able to add, and what plants would be good for a tank with decent full spectrum light available, I was thinking I'm probably at the limits as far as fish goes, but I definitely do want to add plants, I was thinking anubias, Java fern, Amazon sword, and maybe some others, but I'm not totally positive, I have a moss ball but like any aquarist coming into the hobby basically ever, I really want to do more, but I don't currently have space for anything larger than the 10 gal.

2. FreshAquariums

FreshAquariums Valued Member Member

I suggest doing some research (as I did when I started with plants) if you haven't already on hardy plants. personally when I was beginning with aquatic plants. I used Java Fern, Dwarf Hairgrass, Anubias, Lilaeopsis, African Water Fern, And Java Moss. There all pretty hardy - easy growing aquarium plants

3. OP
    OP
    I

I've done a good bit of research on the different types of plants, and their growing conditions, personally I feel that an anubias species would be the best as it grows and adapts relatively quickly, and with its runners it should spread a bit and supply decent cover, I also really like the Java fern as the leaf shape is also good for hiding in and behind, the plants are more to supply hiding space and additional entertainment for the fish (as well as myself). I really want plants like eel grass, and water lily, but due to limited space, and tank size, I'm not sure if those would be good options in the tank. The current substrate is merely a thin layer of aquarium gravel, which I hopefully will add to, or layer other substrate with it, which might help identifying the best aquatic plant for my tank.

4. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

Keeping even a single pumpkinseed (or any type of sunfish, really) in a 10g tank is a bad idea. They can easily get 10-12 inches long, and keeping one in a small tank result in a stressed, unhealthy, and stunted fish that will die very early. There are a few species which stay very small (4 inches or so) such as orange-spotted sunfish, but even those should be kept in a 20-30 gallon tank at a bare minimum for a single fish or a pair, with a group requiring a much larger tank.

Keeping several sunfish in a small is also likely to result in them killing each other at some point, as sunfish are very aggressive fish, even more so than cichlids.

5. OP
    OP
    I

I'm well aware of how large they grow, and trust me, if I could put them in something bigger, I would in a heartbeat, but I am lacking in funds and space, I would, but I am lacking in both, and the area I live in does not allow you to return fish that have been in captivity for any length of time, otherwise I would put them back into the lake. So what else am I to do, the specimens from the lake don't exceed 4 inches in length, so I figured I would make them as comfortable as I can for the time being until I figure out exactly what to do with them. My options right now are really only to either humanely put them down, or to eat them. So, since there isn't anyone with a tank of the right size or conditions in my area, as far as I know, what would you suggest?

6. Big Red

Big Red Well Known Member Member

Fish pond... anywhere but a ten gallon. Ive kept bg they will stunt being in a 10 if not kill each other. They are gunna be stressed and most likely get sick. Srry if I sound rude but its the truth. I kept mine in a 55 and it was to small. Id find a fish pond or pet store that may take it.

7. OP
    OP
    I

Again, if that was an option, I'd do it, but no one I know has a pond, we have rather cold winters, and water tends to freeze around here, so people don't usually have ponds that aren't on public property, where it is illegal to put them, I agree with your idea, but the practice is difficult if not impossible, I have asked around about it, and haven't been able to find anyone. So, what else am I to do?

8. OP
    OP
    I

Looks like it was a good idea to post on here about the pumpkin seed sunfish, as I was later contacted, and the fish will be getting a good home in a private pond, which is in accordance to area laws. So thanks for your concern about the sunfish, and they will now be getting a good home.

9. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

That's good to hear. It sucks getting rid of them, but as far as the fish are concerned, it's for the best. I don't know about your area specifically, but there are a lot really nice looking shiners, dace, madtoms, and possibly some smaller species of darters that are native to the U.S. and could probably be kept in a 10 gallon tank pretty reasonably in small numbers, if you don't mind spending a weekend or two wading a stream with a net. I've done it a few times myself, and it's surprising what a variety of small fish you can come up with.

10. OP
    OP
    I

unfortunately, I live up in the pacific northwest, our smallish fish are pumpkin seeds, and I dont have the resources to transport shiners and other small fish across state lines. I absolutely adore darters, shiners, and madtoms, but they arent native to my area, and yes it really sucks, their truly gorgeous fish, but at the end of the day, in a way, im happier knowing theyre going to be happy.

11. Big Red

Big Red Well Known Member Member

Ifind it hard to believe that the sunfish is the smallest where theres sunfish theres mosquito fish and other small fish, crayfish. glad to hear about the rehome. good luck with you next endeavor.

12. OP
    OP
    I

Thank you very much, and while it may not seem likely, the smallest freshwater fish I've ever seen in the wild around here was a trout fry, and very young bass.