North American Discus Association Convention - Atlanta 2012

Slug
Some amazing show fish here in Atlanta for the NADA show/convention. Everything is going great so far. We built and setup all show tanks this morning and we now have all show fish in their tanks. Here are some very quick dirty shots taken tonight. No flash was used, giving the fish at least a day to settle in (which most seem to be doing outstanding already). So these were just taken with the ambient light. Colors may be a bit off on the fish but you get the general idea.

Showroom and where vendor tables are.

SOME of the fish. Picked out random fish.

More to come in the next few days, we have until Sunday! I'll be getting better shots of the fish and happenings in the next couple of days and post here. The quality of show fish here has been REALLY impressive. The bad thing is, most are for sale after the show....I wonder if any will follow me home....

Cichlidnut
Those fish look awesome! Sounds like a good time

yusufm52
Very beautiful fish..

Yusufm52
sent from tapatalk2

Slug
Here are some much better shots from the showroom. I wish I could remove the microbubbles lol.

Slug

And here are some ring leopard crosses that are for sale. Very nice fish.

APColorado
Wow...Wow...Wow... Those are beautiful. Simply amazing. I love the Cobalt blue (if I got the name correctly) and Ring Leopard Crosses.

Slug
No cobalts pictured haha, that last blue one is a Blue Diamond.

APColorado
Okay, I love the Blue Diamond. I am still in learning phase of Discus. Still doing the research until I start a Discus tank.

Disc61
Wow, thanks for sharing Matt, wish I could be there.

Slug
Here is a list of winners with their winning fish. Eventually I'll go back and edit these to take out the microbubbles and such, but I'll let you look first.

Solid
Tara Bennett - 1st Place Solid

Mike Beals - 2nd Place Solid

Angelfish USA - 3rd Place Solid

Thin Line
Mike Beals - 1st Place Thin Line

Florida Discus - 2nd Place Thin Line

Mike Beals - 3rd Place Thin Line

Thick Line
Alex Piwowarski/Kraig Koontz - 1st Place Thick Line

Mike Beals - 2nd Place Thick Line

Angelfish USA - 3rd Place Thick Line

Slug
Spotted
Mike Beals sweep 1, 2, and 3. Photos in order 1-3.

Wild (Looked much better then they photographed for sure)
JI'm Gallagher - 1st Place Wild

Jerry Baer - 2nd Place Wild
(looking for photo of Jerry's fish)
Kraig Koontz - 3rd Place Wild

Open Class
Angelfish USA - 1st Place Open

Mike Beals - 2nd Place Open

Discus Hans - 3rd Place Open

People's Choice
Florida Discus

Bred By Exhibitor
JI'm Gallagher

Slug
Best In Show
Kraig Koontz and Alex Piwowarski

Cichlidnut
Thanks for sharing! makes me want discus!

kensgirlchrisy
Beautiful! Can't wait to have some in our tank! Thank you for taking the time to share with us!

APColorado
Wow..Wow...Wow...

Can't wait until I start my Discus tank

Slug
#1 in the Solid class, the Cobalt was raised from a JuvI bought from Kenny's Discus in California. A lot of the others were imported specifically for the show. Goes to show you, proper care and starting with good stock can get you just as good results as the ones dubbed "show fish" and sold for hundreds/thousands.

noslen1003
Thanks for sharing!

APColorado
Slug...did you end up taking some home with you?

Slug
unfortunately no, I wanted some of Mike Beals fish but they were in high demand. Going to end up contacting him and ordering some at a later date. Here are more pics, a lot of the same ones, with no micro bubbles and such.

Slug

Slug

Best in Show

Albinos

Ring leopard/pigeon crosses...makes me really want some LOL

My favorite at the show. If someone didn't buy, I was going to.

Slug
More of the cobalt that was grown from a juvI originally from Kenny.

A massive Altum Flora from Mike Beals.

And my other personal favorites at the show, BDs...from Mike Beals. These are the ones I really wanted to buy.

APColorado
The cobalts are stunning, I would like to get those

Disc61
The BD's are incredible. well, I don't think I seen one that wasn't for that matter.

Slug
I was very impressed with the Blue Diamonds, these in the last post. I was going to buy them but was second in line again. Talked to Mike Beals who originally imported these and told him I'm looking for some like this, and I'd be in touch.

FriendsNotFood
Thank you for all the beautiful piccies
Makes me wish even more that I had time to maintain a discus tank.

ACKY20
Kevan

Would like to thank the discus enthuiasts of the USA for putting those brilliant pictures of the show fish so people can see them & realise what proper discus keeping & care can be acheived, if I get to reach my goal in life then it will be to breed & show discus of the same stature as them, the fish look great shapes & size .

Slug
Thanks.

The US has been behind the curve for many years in terms of an organized discus group with shows/conventions/etc. Its by no means the Duisburg discus show that's internationally known, but we are trying to make a name for ourselves. I believe we had right at 104 show entries this time, and the next show will be in 2014 where we hope to have more. Its slow, but its growing. Hopefully one day the US can catch up to the rest of the international discus groups.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
Slug
Replies
Views
Slug
Replies
Views