Normans Lampeye Killi Care + Stocking.

1. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

I went to my LFS today to get the fish for my 10 gallon and i meant to buy Scarlet Badis, turns out they only have Killifish, no Badis, The Killi selection was between- Golden Wonder, Normans Lampeye, Bayou, and Striped. I asked the employee what would work in a 10 gallon and he said the Normans would be best so i got three of them as i read they liked to be in groups. My question is, what can i put with them and are my water parameters ok for them? I plan on adding Cherry Shrimp or Snowball Shrimp if they are compatile.
    Fish i want with them-
    1) Stiphodon Blue Goby?
    2) Harlequin Rasboras
    3) CPDS
    4) Pygmy Cories
    5) Dwarf Pencilfish
    Water Parameters-
    PH- 6.8
    Ammonia- 0
    Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- 10
    Plants-
    6 Aponogeton Ulvaceus
    2 Water Lilys
    2 Water Onions
    1 Java Fern(Windelov)
    1 Weeping Moss(3 in x 2 in platform)
    Thanks in Advance!

2. OP
    OP
    Lance0414

@Anders247 you know about Killis, what do you think?

3. DHIWZ

DHIWZ Member Member

Hello fellow Lampeye keeper, you have made a wise choice in fish selection ;)

Lampeyes are really shy, timid fish and strongly prefer to be kept in schools, the larger the better. I'd say get 3 more at the bare minimum before you consider anything else. In a tank as small as a ten gallon I would hesitate to add anything else except maybe Shrimp. These fish are pretty active and like to swim around the whole tank, so I don't think you'd have room for any more fish, except for maybe something like 3 pygmy cories--although that setup would be far from ideal.

My tank has hard, alkaline water with nitrates far higher than yours and my Lampeyes acclimated fine. I don't think you'll have a huge issue with parameters as long as there aren't any major swings in water chemistry.

4. OP
    OP
    Lance0414

Thanks, I will look into getting more Lampeyes, Would the Goby Work as that is the fish that was kept with them at the store and i read they are good tankmates. I also forgot to mention my Temperature is at 78-80'F.

5. DHIWZ

DHIWZ Member Member

Temp won't be a problem. My tank is also at 78-80 right now and the Lampeyes seem to be getting on fine.

I'd hesitate on the Goby. I'm not familiar with it but Liveaquaria and Seriouslyfish both recommend tank sizes of at least 20 gallons, so I wouldn't put it in a 10. If you want a bottom dweller/cleanup crew shrimps and snails will be more than adequate.

6. OP
    OP
    Lance0414

Ok i think i will do-
    8 Lampeyes
    5 Cherry Shrimp(Going to breed them)
    5 Snowball Shrimp(Going to breed them)
    15 Amano Shrimp or 3 Asian Stone Catfish or 3 Endlers
    1 Nerite Snail

7. DHIWZ

DHIWZ Member Member

With 8 Lampeyes I would really hesitate to add any more fish (with the possible exception of Asian Stone Catfish). 15 Amanos is also way too much in my opinion, they don't exactly stay small. I'd say your stocking would be fine if it was 8 Lampeyes + 3 Asian Stone Catfish, along with your Cherries, Snowballs, and Nerite.

8. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would do around 8 amanos. They get 2" long.

Cherry and snowball shrimp will breed with eachother and result in drab brown babies.

Asian stone catfish need much cooler water.

9. ~EverythingsSoSawbwa~

~EverythingsSoSawbwa~ Member Member

@Pishies you might like to see this! ;)

10. OP
    OP
    Lance0414

How about
    8 Norman's Lampeyes
    8 Snowball or Cherry Shrimp
    8 Amano Shrimp
    2 Croaking Gourami(Pair, I want to hear the croaking)? or 1 Honey Gourami?
    If no Gourami(s) would 2-3 Endlers work?

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

That would probably be fine.

12. OP
    OP
    Lance0414

Would American Flagfish work or Halfbeaks? I saw some online and read they can live in a 10 gallon, what do you think?

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not sure about halfbeaks, check my 10g stocking list. I'm pretty sure flagfish would work though, but check the list to be sure. Can't remember off the top of my head.
    Stocking List for 10 Gallons

14. DCJ

DCJ Member Member

I keep 8 - 10 lampeyes (they're hard to count & have populated themselves) with 3 sparkling gouramis with no issues between them, but they are in a 14

They match well though and are really underrated fish imo. I'm considering upgrading and getting a whole swathe of them.

I have found them more likely to come out of hiding with sparser plant coverage in the tank, bearing in mind I like to stuff my tanks; I'm not sure what's going on with that, I think it's an abberation tho & not the norm

15. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

10 gal is way too small for Norman's Lampeyes.
    I would at least go with a 20 gal long.

Check out this thread to learn more
    Lampeye Killifish Questions

16. OP
    OP
    Lance0414

I can't get another tank and all of what i have read and been told is 10 Gallons is fine for a medium sized school. I would get a bigger tank if i could but, i can't. Right now i think i have 2 males and 1 female as the "males" are brighter in color and slim while the "female" is round.

17. DHIWZ

DHIWZ Member Member

I don't think 10 gallons is too small. If you look at Anders' 10 gallon stocking thread Norman's Lampeyes are listed as one of the possible options.

18. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I prefer looking at my tank and see the actual fish being very active.

19. OP
    OP
    Lance0414

They are active and since i put more plants in they are even more active.

20. OP
    OP
    Lance0414

I finished the fish stock today, i now have 7 Normans Lampeyes(Poropanchax Normani) and 2 Croaking/Sparkling Gouramis(Trichogaster Pumila), one i know for sure is female as it is "pregnant" from one of the males in the stores tank, i hope the other is the male but i can't tell yet as he is still a juvenile. The rest of the stock shall be-
    10 Neocaridina Davidi(Have another thread on which is best)
    10 Caridina Cantonesis
    8 Caridina Multidenta(Amano Shrimp)
    Pond + MTS Snails