30 Gallon Tank Norman Lampeye & Pygmy Cory - ideal shoal size? Little tank mates?

dahl

I have a 32G tank (Fluval Flex), well planted, lots of driftwood. It currently has 4 nerite snails in it, doing their pooping thing.

I plan to stock it with:
Norman's Lampeye Killifish
Pygmy Corydoras
Rili Shrimp
(4 nerite snails) - already in there

Q1: Most places say 6+ for a shoal, and 12+ is best. I haven't found more specific information for either of these fish. Do I do equal sized shoals for both? Or is one a higher priority to have more in a shoal?

Q2: I would love to add some more variety without causing biological (or emotional) stress. We spend all summer kayaking and checking out the river critters, so this is our "critter tank" to get us through the long winter. Stipulations:
- not looking for a flashy showcase fish
- no snail types that can breed out of control
- eating fry is ok, but no aggression!

I am considering a brazos dwarf crayfish (the ones barely bigger than cherry shrimp), or a vampire shrimp (filter feeder) when the tank is more mature, or a thai micro crab. I'm also open to other fish like an oto or the smallest dwarf pleco, but afaik all of the smaller fish like that prefer to be in groups.

BigManAquatics

Its always the bigger the school/shoal, the better. With fish that can be nippy, usually once you hit the 12+ number, they tend to leave the other fish alone and keep it in species. I like the idea of 10-12 pygmies myself, just cuz they are so small. Not sure on the lampeyes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
dahl
Replies
Views
Xuco
Replies
Views
dahl
Replies
Views