Normally, I Would Not Consider This, But...

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by bolivianbaby, Apr 20, 2010.

1. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I saw platinum halfmoon bettas with blue eyes at one of my favorite LFS. I have to go back there this weekend for Shelby's mollies. She really really wants one. She'll be getting her 10g tank back from my brother in a month or two.

I was thinking about putting the betta in a betta bowl until she gets her tank back. If I put crushed coral in the bowl, the PH will stay the same as the water I would be putting back in the bowl with daily 100% water changes. That would also prevent any ammonia buildup, especially since we use prime as our water conditioner. I verify temp with all water changes anyways, so that wouldn't be an issue either.

Is there anything I'm overlooking to make sure he'll have a comfortable home until she gets her 10g back? That will be his final home.

More than likely, we'll be upgrading to a critter keeper in the next few weeks, maybe less, depending on how long it takes for me to get it up and running. I have the filtration and the seeded media, it'll just be making the plan come together.

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

With 100% daily water changes, will the coral have time to change the pH of the water? I'm not sure how long it takes.

3. ShibaValued MemberMember

i'd say he'd be fine w/out the coral since it won't have any immediate effects. just religiously do water changes or get an $11 Wal-Mart tank until you get the tank back.

4. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I would be using the coral to keep the PH of the water the same as the water going into the tank.

My PH out of the tap is 7.6. However, my true PH is 6.8, 24 hours later and 6.0, 48 hours later. The crushed coral would be used to keep the PH at 7.6, so the betta wouldn't have the PH drop and have PH shock.

What do you think? Is it doable?

5. ShibaValued MemberMember

If you spent say 15 bucks, you could keep him in a decent small tank, and if the pH drops, then why not get a bucket fill it and get water from that then let it age and settle, then get water from said bucket?

6. LucyModeratorModerator Member

I don't know enough about pH and crushed coral.
    Something to consider is keeping a consistant warm temp.

7. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

That's why I posted this thread:;toast. To see if there was anyting I was overlooking.

You're right. There's no way to control temp in anything smaller than a critter keeper.

I'm thinking it would be best if I :;smack, I mean nudge, my brother to return my tank. If it's meant to be, there will still be one at the LFS. If it's not, than there will be a betta baby that we're meant to have once everything is set up.

You guys are the best! Thank you all!

8. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Well you could always use a clear plastic container or cup and float it in one of your bigger tanks to keep it warm.

9. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Yes, that's an option. It is only temporary, and if your brother knows that you are looking for the tank back, he will be inclined to return it quicker...
    I have a plastic container I use if a fish is dying or needs isolated before my QT is set up and heated. It's quite large, and I can do 2 water changes a day.

(It sounds morbid, but then when the fish does go, I can remove the whole thing and the ammonia from the fish cannot enter my main tank.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice